Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bolted north after class Thursday night so I could get up Friday morning and hunt. Carried my stand in to a oak flat and was up the tree not long after daybreak. Sat until 10:00 and saw nothing but squirrels. :rolleyes:

I got down and moved my cameras to new locations and saw 2 deer while doing that, so I assumed the deer moved late Friday.

Friday afternoon I hunted under a white oak that was dropping and had many empty hulls under it. I got in the tree around 3:30 and sat until dark (thanks to Thermocell). Saw nothing but a possum.

Had boyfriend duty and my grandfather's 75th birthday on Saturday and Sunday, so I did not get to hunt, but I did check my cameras that I set out on Friday. At one location, which is an old logging road that enters a large food plot, I had a 2 pics of the same doe. One was Friday at 11:32 (20 mins after I set the camera up) and the other was Saturday at 10:30.

Needless to say, Sunday morning I was headed to that spot! Due to my lack of memory, (forgot where I left my stand) I was running a little late and didn't get up the tree until 9:20. I hadn't sat down good and I heard her coming up the hill to the logging road. She was moving slowly and browsing in some thick stuff, and before I know it I had lost sight of her and couldn't hear anything.

After 20 minutes I assumed that she had moved into the foodplot, which was behind me, so I grunted a few times and sat and waited. 8 minutes later, I hear something behind me and she is within 12 yards in the trail facing me. I wait until she turns her head to lick herself and stand up and grab my bow off of the hanger. At this point I'm shaking like a leaf and she knows something is different when she turns around. After a short standoff, she spooks a bit and jumps out of the trail. I draw and she steps back into the trail quartering to me. I let it fly, feeling good about the shot.

She turns and runs, circling into the plot and back into the gully below me. I never heard her crash, but did hear her stop. I wait 30 mins and get some help from another club member trailing her. Found the arrow and some intestines 20 yds off the plot. Found her probably 45 yds off the plot. The arrow entered behind the front shoulder and exited just in front of the back ham. I didn't even think I made that good of a shot!

So, finally, in my second year I have killed my first deer with a bow. :thumbup: I was shooting my grandfathers old carbon extreme xlr with an 80 lb draw and vortex broadheads. All in all, a great weekend and I can't wait to get back up there next weekend and get #2!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,543 Posts
Congrats on the 1st kill!!! Go get some more!!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Congrads

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Congrats. I purchased the first Carbon Extreme XLR in this area from the Jennings Dealer back in 1994 as a dealer demo. I paid 134.00 for it. It's extremely fast and hunted with it until 2008. Great bow that was ahead of its time.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats. It's awesome, isn't it?
Yes it is! Makes killing a doe a challenge rather than a chore to get meat. I can't imagine how it will be when I have the chance at a good buck!

Congrats. I purchased the first Carbon Extreme XLR in this area from the Jennings Dealer back in 1994 as a dealer demo. I paid 134.00 for it. It's extremely fast and hunted with it until 2008. Great bow that was ahead of its time.
Yeah, I believe that is around the time that my grandfather got his. He usually gets the best of the best, so I knew it would be adequate even though it is an older bow. I am looking into finding another bow for next year...pulling back and holding 80 lbs gets old after a while :yes:

Sounds like you are hooked. Congrats on the kill! Where were you hunting?
I'm hunting roughly 15 minutes east of Evergreen. It's a nice piece of property bordering the Sepulga River.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts