Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK if you are hunting Rabbit Island East of Ono Island, thanks for waking us up at daylight shooting at ducks you probably won't eat. Now that said.....

The Dauphin Island research lab is doing a study on Redhead ducks, to see how much impact they are having on the grass beds. They have put the sticks on the flats and those cages on the west side of Rabbit Island.

Talked to the researchers today. Mattie (or Maggie) would LOVE to collect the crop/stomach contents of any ducks (especially Redheads) that you may actually hit and kill. This is to help prove that these ducks graze on the grassbeds and that we need more investment to protect the beds.

And, to kill ducks. Which is a good thing for hunters everywhere.

If you hunt around Ono Island, and care to admit it, call the Dauphin Island sea lab and ask for Mattie the Redhead duck researcher.

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
I can tell you that Redhead ducks aren't impacting the grass flats as much as idiots who don't know the water depths and run their outboards in and out through them and create those 'legacy' sand trails.

Not to mention all the sailboat keels dragging through there from weekenders.

The Feds on the GINS have a boat but I have never heard of them or FWC enforcing any of the laws that apply to grass bed destruction.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hum

Remember the good ole days when we would shoot redheads and EAT them,that was 45 years ago ,i would bet the ducks and the hunters were there long before the first house was built on ono island. thanks for letting everyone know where the ducks are. May be time to invest in some earplugs!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rumor has it that the g&f folks will be checking said hunters pretty heavy.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Not many years from now this info will just be another story of what we used to be able to do in this wonderful area like catching Snapper and waiting for the lift bridge while crossing Bayou Chico.
It's things like this that make me love the panhandle even more. I love sitting outside my backyard and hearing people shoot deer and ducks.

·
Super Moderator
20,019 Posts
Rumor has it that the g&f folks will be checking said hunters pretty heavy.
Rumor is if they ain't breaking the law, and chances they aint, there is nothing Game and Fish can do. Support other Sportsman or lose your rights together. I hate dog hunters more than anyone but I'd support them instead of tearing them down.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My favorite view of Ono Island.... FWC & ECSO routinely stop by at galvez landing to say hi..... They get a kick out of the callers as well but are forced to drive out there to see that no laws are being broken. We just had some redhead's grilled with jalapeños, cream cheese & bacon and it was fantastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No need to be a bunch of d-bags. I'm not whining, I'm a bit pissed.

Oh YA'LL can complain about barking dogs, but somebody shooting at daylight 200 yards from your bedroom.... If we lived out in the sticks I'd expect it.

I'm all for all the hunting you can do. But just because you CAN shoot near a bunch of homes doesn't mean you should. That's the kind of blind abuse that leads to laws that restrict all sportsmen.

I've watched these shooters, and the ducks aren't in any real danger. Also saw a couple floating dead yesterday. So the few they hit, at least a couple didn't get picked up.

·
Registered
862 Posts
"Talked to the researchers today. Mattie (or Maggie) would LOVE to collect the crop/stomach contents of any ducks (especially Redheads) that you may actually hit and kill. This is to help prove that these ducks graze on the grassbeds and that we need more investment to protect the beds."

quote above

more investment from where ?

I thought the most recent damage to the grass beds was from tropical storms and hurricanes

·
Super Moderator
12,841 Posts
No need to be a bunch of d-bags. I'm not whining, I'm a bit pissed.

Oh YA'LL can complain about barking dogs, but somebody shooting at daylight 200 yards from your bedroom.... If we lived out in the sticks I'd expect it.

I'm all for all the hunting you can do. But just because you CAN shoot near a bunch of homes doesn't mean you should. That's the kind of blind abuse that leads to laws that restrict all sportsmen.

I've watched these shooters, and the ducks aren't in any real danger. Also saw a couple floating dead yesterday. So the few they hit, at least a couple didn't get picked up.
Suck it up, butter cup.

I am so sick of hearing "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Simple fact is, it's well within my rights, and it makes me happy. Go F yourself if it pissed you off.

You ever drink alcohol? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

And don't take this personal, but if anyone tells me that "just because I can, doesn't mean I should" can go piss up a rope.

Move.
Buy ear plugs.
Quite bitching.

Don't tread on me.

Sent from my Galaxy S5....

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Rumor is if they ain't breaking the law, and chances they aint, there is nothing Game and Fish can do. Support other Sportsman or lose your rights together. I hate dog hunters more than anyone but I'd support them instead of tearing them down.
WATCH YOUR MOUTH ABOUT DOG HUNTERS

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
"Talked to the researchers today. Mattie (or Maggie) would LOVE to collect the crop/stomach contents of any ducks (especially Redheads) that you may actually hit and kill. This is to help prove that these ducks graze on the grassbeds and that we need more investment to protect the beds."

quote above

more investment from where ?

I thought the most recent damage to the grass beds was from tropical storms and hurricanes
That is tree hugger and frog licker code for "closing off areas to all but us tippy toe Tina's"

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Suck it up, butter cup.

I am so sick of hearing "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Simple fact is, it's well within my rights, and it makes me happy. Go F yourself if it pissed you off.

You ever drink alcohol? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

And don't take this personal, but if anyone tells me that "just because I can, doesn't mean I should" can go piss up a rope.

Move.
Buy ear plugs.
Quite bitching.

Don't tread on me.

Sent from my Galaxy S5....
Hey, just cause you can post don't mean you should post!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts