Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just notice I joined the forum a year and two days ago. I would thank everyone for all the great information. I'm a better angler now due to the forum members. After a year I have afew questions that I haven't asked yet...

1. I've seen some post about bears in the P'cola area. Is there a particular area where they are common? How big do they get? Are they a problem?

2. Wednesday night meet up... How manyforum members attend on an average night?

3. From Perdido Pass how far off shore would I have to go to have aresonable chance to catch a keeper Red Snapper?

4. I read members talking about seeing schools of Redfish on the flats. I have never seen a school of reds on the flats. I usally fish Perdido or Mobile Bay. Are schools of redfish more common in Pensacola Bay? Or, Am I just missing them in the other bays?

5. I hardly ever read anything about the fishing in the sound. How's the summer fishing in the sound? Is there another name for the sound area?

Again thanks for all the great information.

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
Jighead (2/12/2010)I just notice I joined the forum a year and two days ago. I would thank everyone for all the great information. I'm a better angler now due to the forum members. After a year I have afew questions that I haven't asked yet...

1. I've seen some post about bears in the P'cola area. Is there a particular area where they are common? How big do they get? Are they a problem?

The Bears are in Eglin Air Force property, they will venture south and west into Navarre and Midway areas. They are no problem. Always a news event.

2. Wednesday night meet up... How manyforum members attend on an average night?

Average night varies from winter to summer, winter about 20, during the summer, sometimes 50 -60, Please attend anytime, you will like it.

3. From Perdido Pass how far off shore would I have to go to have aresonable chance to catch a keeper Red Snapper?

I-10 rubble produces well, 10 miles out, however, many are even caught in shore. Hush.

4. I read members talking about seeing schools of Redfish on the flats. I have never seen a school of reds on the flats. I usally fish Perdido or Mobile Bay. Are schools of redfish more common in Pensacola Bay? Or, Am I just missing them in the other bays?

Look harder, they are there in the fall and winter.

5. I hardly ever read anything about the fishing in the sound. How's the summer fishing in the sound? Is there another name for the sound area?

The sound aka ICW produces year round, this time of year not so much, as they are seeking deeper water for warmth. But they are there.

All summer long watch the inshore charter boats fishing right off quiet water beach at P-beach area. Or all along the north and south shores. I have been on several inshore charters, purchased by others. Launched at Shoreline, never went more than two miles and had a great time on Specs and Reds.

Again thanks for all the great information.
Now, I am not an expert at all, so hopefully, others will chime in and provide more than I, or enhance the above information.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Every now & then, one of those bears will pop up in Gulf Breeze. Even pensacola Beach. They are only a menace if you are a trash can.

Never been to a meet up, but plan on going.

Honestly any good structure in 50 ft. or deeper should produce a keeper snapp. I couldn't catch a short last year.

Schooling reds are on the flats I'm sure (never seen 'em). I prefer the Bulls in the fall. Catch Ft. Pickens on the right tide & time, you will get tired of slots (crazy I know) & beg for a black snapper.

The ICW produces some amazing fishing. Kings, cobia (rare but I've done it), snapper, grouper, specks, reds, pompano. Just hit your local tackle shop and ask what's biting.

Good Luck and tight lines!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts