Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Knotworkin
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OMC sterndrive won't start it's not even turning over? I just installed a new alternator and starter and reverse cable and it ran fine prior to doing all the work? I checked for grounds but no luck. I had bilge/blower power then when I turned the key nothing and it killed any power to bilge/blower. But I have had tilt/trim the whole time? Is it the neutral cut out in the? Any insight would help..

·
Registered
257 Posts
what does your battery voltage look like? test it with out starting anything and then test it again while the key is turned to start.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Tighten your battery terminals with a pair of pliers. Tighten all main power wire connections. They must be very tight. This is a common problem. The only other issue could be improper wiring.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
if you just changed the reverse cable, i bet it is the neutral safety switch. if it is out of adjustment your engine will not turn over. give that a look.

·
Knotworkin
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured it out, there was a short in the main wire going to the ignition. I hot wired it to verify now i'm in the market for a OMC wiring harness kit to just do them all because the wiring isn't in the best of shape. Better do it right before another old wire becomes the problem! Thanks for the replys...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts