Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have some deer with the same kind of rack characteristics down at my place Steve. Some of them have a normal side with 4 or 5 points then the other side will just have a split or a cowhorn. Congrats to mama, I know she was proud to get him!

·
Super Moderator
29,692 Posts
Good ole buck congrats to your ole lady!!!!

·
Bearded Brotula
14,512 Posts
Just curious, what would be considered a heavier size buck in Crenshaw County these days?

Anything over 250 or more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
200+ is a good sized buck in Pintlala. I've stacked up a few around the 220 range.

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
When I hunted Conecuh we always said 200 pounds would be around the best we could get. Best anyone killed over about 15 years was a lopsided 11 point, 7 on one side, 4 on the other that was obviously past his prime, antler bases were huge, looked funny on his body size, he ended up weighing 185 pounds. The biggest Does ever shot were 120 pounds. I saw a Buck or two there I'm guessing weighed 225 plus but never got a shot.

Now in North Central MS the deer are obviously bigger! They have Does there 150+ and a good buck goes for over 250. Those I hunt with have never used a scale so hopefully this year I'll get to weigh a few with my scale.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never seen a legitimate 250lb deer around here. I'd say the average 3 1/2 yr old will weigh 140 to 175. Most of the biggest bodied deer I've seen were bucks with messed up racks. There were several different genetics stocked in these parts years ago and that makes a difference too. These deer rut from Jan thru April.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
The reason I ask, back when I was growing up around south Montgomery, Lowndes, Crenshaw counties you would occasionally see one pushing 200. That was late 70s and 80s.

We always heard they were heavier in other parts of the state. Selma area always used to get mentioned.

Thought maybe now, with a lot of deer management they might be running bigger.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
This was on the internet so it must be true. Figured it was heavier these days.

In Alabama, weights of healthy adult does may range from less than 90 to more than 140 pounds, while healthy adult males may range from 140 pounds to more than 250 pounds, depending on age and habitat quality.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The reason I ask, back when I was growing up around south Montgomery, Lowndes, Crenshaw counties you would occasionally see one pushing 200. That was late 70s and 80s.

We always heard they were heavier in other parts of the state. Selma area always used to get mentioned.

Thought maybe now, with a lot of deer management they might be running bigger.

I see bigger buck's on average around here a lot more now than years ago. Every one feeds and plants fields these days. in the 80's and 90's 200lb buck was talked about. 220 to 230 is big around here now. A 250 is really big.(South Tuscaloosa and Greene county)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts