Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water is 87-88 all over and we are midway in June. I need some hooded babies, or wise old timers who remember how to read all the signs like spiders, etc to say if we are getting hit in Northern Gulf this year. My “wise salty old man” who always seemed to know these things is no longer with us. I can’t tell yet but not liking what few tells I have seen. Does anyone even remember all the “tells” anymore or is that about to be lost generational knowledge too?

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Be prepared more then before. Bunch of close calls the last few seasons. We are stocking up early this season. I don't have a good feeling that we will escape this year.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Just replaced the whole house Generator....I installed one after Ivan.....It rusted and Generator part went out.

Not going thru what we did in Ivan again.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just replaced the whole house Generator....I installed one after Ivan.....It rusted and Generator part went out.

Not going thru what we did in Ivan again.

Thinking of installing one at my house. Who did you use and do you mind giving a rough idea of price?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
My grandfather always talked about the "Puffy winds" its easier to point out then to explain. But that was a old old trimmers hurricane prediction

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
85 degrees of water temp is the magical key. Since I retired from the Hurricane Hunters stuff I haven’t really done any storm tracking. I suppose I should renew my skills!! lol

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Stocking up on beer and bourbon at the river cabin, 3 hours north. It's our Hurricane Hole. Will NOT ride another one out if I can help it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I pray that we don’t get hit by one but we’re overdue. This area got hit every 10 years plus or minus a couple and its been 15 years since Ivan. The longest period I could find on the Hurricane City website was 19 years from 1956-1975 Flossy 1956 - Eloise 1975. Eloise was the first hurricane I lived through but I’ve been here for all of them since.
Best advice is be ready every hurricane season and if you live near the coast be ready to evacuate
Run from the water and hide from the wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hot water is what powers Hurricanes...If you see one tracking low out of Africa,keep an eye on it because we live in hurricane Alley....At all cost DO NOT COUNT ON what the prediction track shows....nobody knows where these storms are going to go or how strong they will be......
I disagree. The 5 day tracks have been right pretty much since Ivan (and that includes Katrina). The thing is you have to look at both sides of that track, and not just look at the middle. Strength is harder to predict. Michael hit pretty much in the 5 day cone (that said the 5 day cone was anywhere from the LA/MS border to Jacksonville).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts