Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Captain Anthony
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Captain Anthony here from Team Angela Rose! I'm new to Pensacola Fishing Forum and wanted to take a quick minute to introduce myself. I am a prior charter boat captain and fishing nut from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. I own and ran both of my boats for roughly 6 years but have been fishing for 25 plus years. I have a 28' Chesapeake Classic ("The Original") Angela Rose) and a 34' King Cat, Angela Rose II. "The Original" Angela Rose will be making her way to Mobile Bay this fall where I will do most of my fishing. I plan to venture west of Orange Beach but not much.
Back home I belonged to several fishing forums, like this site, and also did some freelance writing and reports for several local magazines and websites. I am really looking forward to be an active participant on PFF.

Keep those lines tight!
Captain Anthony

Pictured is an 11+ and 12+ pound flounder! :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Captain Anthony
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wonderful world of The United States Coast Guard bought me south. I love the area so much and made some really awesome friends, I decided to stay. I've came off Active Duty a short while ago and decided it was time to get back into the sport hardcore again.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I've never really targeted flounder with hook and line except in the fall and winter. You can usually snag a few sporadically as they leave the passes but when they stack up on the close in wrecks is when we do most of our consistent catching. As far as gigging goes its productive most of the year with exception to the months they are offshore spawning.

·
Captain Anthony
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on...
I never gigged before and really can't see the sport in doing so. I can understand gigging if you're looking to load up the freezer, then by all means, gig away!
HL&S has always been my method. Drifting around wrecks, rocks, holes and channels, and structures using live bait or buck tailing. I'm all about watching migratory and travel patterns, fishing the moons and tides. I learned that back in 1975, Alabama state record is over 13+ pounds caught in lower Mobile Bay. Sure enough there has to be some decent fish around. 4s & 5s at least?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Fished Sandy Hook several times myself, but nothing like my brother Rich. Caught several doormats around the tip along with some stud bluefish. Welcome, I know you will enjoy the fishing down here.

·
Captain Anthony
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fished Sandy Hook several times qmyself
Sandy Hook holds some BIG fish especially in the shipping channels.
I fished with a buddy of mine in a fluke tournament up there and ended up catching what would be a state record Star Gazer. The monster weight in at 13.2 unofficially on the boat and then released. We didn't know the importance of that fish until 2 days later when I decided to look it up. Had we kept the fish....

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Welcome to the forum capt !!! The flounder have been slow this year but there's some around. You can kill the flounder in the gulf during the winter on the wrecks offshore. But right now the bigger southerns are just starting to come south towards the gulf. The rigs at the south end of mobile bay and just outside the pass can get hot the fall.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I never gigged before and really can't see the sport in doing so.
It's Hunting & fishing combined.....It's not like you just go out there and they are laying "Everywhere"......Unless..........You are fortunate enough to get into the "Jubilee" group of people.

·
FastCast Custom Rods
1,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You'll have no problem catching flatfish on rod and reel in Mobile bay. Fish for them just like you did up north. You'll find the hot spots soon enough I'm sure. Semper Paratus Brother.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts