Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Old buck

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  IM4MOPAR 
#1 ·
Today I shot the oldest buck I’ve ever seen. He had no teeth, his horns literally fell off when I grabbed them, and he had yellow fat all over his organs. Not sure I wanna eat him.
Food Animal fat Flesh Animal product Natural material

See less See more
#10 ·
It should be fine per this site just fat being used from stress and cool weather.

T.P. Kistner of the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife was one of the first researchers to document the physiology of deer-fat deposits in deer when he authored the manual “Technique for Evaluating Physical Condition in Deer” in 1980. His studies concluded that deer fat turns white when it forms and is stored on a deer’s muscle tissue and around the heart, liver and other internal organs.

Most hunters never see the yellow or red phases because they harvest their deer before winter sets in. In other words, stress — be it from an intense, prolonged rutting season or from the onset of harsh winter weather — along with nutritional deficiencies will cause a deer’s fat reserves to switch from ivory-white to phlegm-yellow in short order.
So … is it OK to eat this deer?

Absolutely. As with any deer,
I recommend removing as much fat as possible from the carcass during the field- dressing process. Warm fat is easy to remove from the inside tenderloins and organs simply by pulling it free with your fingers. Then, during the butchering process, peel away the layers of fat along the backstraps, shoulders and hams as best you can. Use a fillet knife, if necessary, to trim away as much fat as possible before packaging up your cuts for the freezer.

Remember, that “gamey” taste that’s often associated with venison comes directly from fat. The more you remove, the less you will have to worry about any off flavors in your favorite venison dishes.

#12 ·
maybe just an early antler drop, jeff. i know that's stretching it a bit but the meat looks fine.
here in dallas county where they feed the damn things, the fat is half of the carcass, inside and under the hide.
jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.