Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
I used an okuma salina 80 and loved it. Used it for jigging with 65lb braid and 20lb mono for reds. The 80 is only 22 oz so it's very comfortable for jigging and the drag is very smooth. Worth every penny. Caught tons of ajs and bull reds and hooked a few sharks with it. Only thing i would recommend doing is upgrading the washers to carbontex because the stock washers are felt, although I used the stock washers for about 8 months. Felt washers are generally fine, but can get squeezed smaller and smaller over time and the max drag you can get out of the reel decreases over time. Also, felt doesn't dissipate heat well, so the drag might lock up on a big fish, if you switch to carbontex you'll be fine. Okuma's customer service is great too.

FishingAddict (10/24/2009)I used an okuma salina 80 and loved it. Used it for jigging with 65lb braid and 20lb mono for reds. The 80 is only 22 oz so it's very comfortable for jigging and the drag is very smooth. Worth every penny. Caught tons of ajs and bull reds and hooked a few sharks with it. Only thing i would recommend doing is upgrading the washers to carbontex because the stock washers are felt, although I used the stock washers for about 8 months. Felt washers are generally fine, but can get squeezed smaller and smaller over time and the max drag you can get out of the reel decreases over time. Also, felt doesn't dissipate heat well, so the drag might lock up on a big fish, if you switch to carbontex you'll be fine. Okuma's customer service is great too.

Isn't it ironic that a big expensive company like van staal has crappy warranty/service ( according to posts Ive seen on here ), yet an inexpensive real like an Okuma has great customer service?

We have 6 50 wide graphites, and 2 coronado 90 spinning reels. I absolutely love them! Haven't had any problems except I broke off a spinning reel handle from not washing them properly for the first couple years I owned the reel. Recommend them highly!

Bob

I have a 20TGII, 2 graphite 30's, 2 30TGII's anfd 2 50TGII's. They all work great so long as they're taken care of. I have several convectors I use for Kings. They did't last up to salt water very well.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.