Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just got two new from the factory (old stock) Baidarka rods. 7'6" ML, 8-15lb conventional.

now the question.

what reel?

looking for something small with a clicker.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,902 Posts
I have one of those Baidarka rods too. A 7' 6" medium action spinning model. I was working a Gulp shrimp with it by Hathaway Bridge by Panama City in my kayak & landed a nice gag on it. They're pretty sweet rods.

I remember you fished an old Calcutta 200 (I think?) when you were here. Why not pick up a couple Calcuttas for those Baidarkas? There's always the Abu C4 series as well. Bulletproof round reels with LOUD clickers. There's tons of awesome upgrades for the Abus as well.

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of a Calcutta but I want to run 10-12lb mono so I'd need the 400 to target the fish I want to. I don't really like the level wind so I looked for a BSV and they are no longer being built.

I think I might go with a penn international 975 (topless, no level wind) but its a tad larger than I'd hoped for.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,902 Posts
I was thinking of a Calcutta but I want to run 10-12lb mono so I'd need the 400 to target the fish I want to. I don't really like the level wind so I looked for a BSV and they are no longer being built.

I think I might go with a penn international 975 (topless, no level wind) but its a tad larger than I'd hoped for.
There's two Calcutta 400S models (no levelwind) on the bay right now. Check those out.

I've never had any experience fishing with those 975's, but I picked one up at Joe's one time & man did it seem heavy. Much prefer the overall feel of an Abu or Shimano round reel. I'm sure that the Penn's are solid reels too though. Just seem like they'd be a bit big on those rods.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,040 Posts
I too recommend the Calcutta. I have the Penn 965 and 975 and they are much heavier but excellent reels. I bought a Calcutta 200B to use but haven't learned to cast well.

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's two Calcutta 400S models (no levelwind) on the bay right now. Check those out.

I've never had any experience fishing with those 975's, but I picked one up at Joe's one time & man did it seem heavy. Much prefer the overall feel of an Abu or Shimano round reel. I'm sure that the Penn's are solid reels too though. Just seem like they'd be a bit big on those rods.

I put a bid in on the Calcutta and Joe messaged me awhile back and said he had one. I'll have to see if he still has it. seems like the perfect reel for this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You guys just gave me the bug to get a new baitcaster. Years ago I had a couple abu's that I loved. I'm just getting back into fishing and I have a few spining reels that will get the job done ... but I really loved my baitcaster. I also don't see a need for top of the line. Especially if it might fall out of a kayak. How do the calcutta's stack up against the Abu's? Anybody have both brands and a preference?

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,902 Posts
You guys just gave me the bug to get a new baitcaster. Years ago I had a couple abu's that I loved. I'm just getting back into fishing and I have a few spining reels that will get the job done ... but I really loved my baitcaster. I also don't see a need for top of the line. Especially if it might fall out of a kayak. How do the calcutta's stack up against the Abu's? Anybody have both brands and a preference?
Yup, I've got both brands. Abu 5500C3, Abu 6600C4, Abu 7000i, Calcutta 100B, & Calcutta 400B. Gotta say that out of all of them my C4 is by far my favorite. But that's partly because I've done a lot of custom work on it (Carbontex drag, ceramic pawl, abec 5 Boca spool bearings, extended power handle with an aluminum jigging knob). Abus are awesome reels stock but there's always room for upgrades. All of them are awesome reels. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either brand!

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,902 Posts
I put a bid in on the Calcutta and Joe messaged me awhile back and said he had one. I'll have to see if he still has it. seems like the perfect reel for this.
Joe sold that 400S to Nick. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it when Joe offered it to me. But yeah, I think the 400S sounds like it fits the bill for what you're looking for man!

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Joe sold that 400S to Nick. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it when Joe offered it to me. But yeah, I think the 400S sounds like it fits the bill for what you're looking for man!
sailfish on 12lb here I come!

there's no real worry of it falling out of a yak. I've honestly had more close to heart attacks with my rods in a boat than on my yak. in the yak they are leashed and I'm in total control. a quick tear down, clean and re lube is simple enough on most reels. as long as they have strong enough gears for what you want to target and you service them properly you can take any reel in a kayak and it will last forever. grease is your friend.

Update: won a Calcutta 400S off fleabay. someone ran me up a little higher than I wanted but came out on top. now I just need to figure out how to protect the AR bearings correctly. Oceanmaster?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thafish - What type of line are you using on that 6600C4. Everything was monofilament when I fished years ago. I see braided has a thinner diameter. I would think fishing in Pensacola bay 20lb test should be fine, however, if braided line is thinner in diameter perhaps 30 lb test would be the way to go.

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a Calcutta 400S off eBay. of course the guy who had it last buttoned down the drag and squirt oil all over the inside before he stored it. I'm working on it now lol.

I came across some Okuma reels, the Isis and Cedros round baitcasters. I think im going to replace the drag and ARB in the Calcutta and sell it and get two matching Cedros 400's. The level wind stays engaged on this model, has clicker and is comparable to the Calcutta line.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would go with a Diawa Lexa. Great castability and you can't beat the 20lbs of drag. They are very smooth and real brutes. I prefer my Lexa to my Calcutta.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts