Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Nice move to protect Destin and areas. After watching the cluster at Perdido and Pensacola Pass, it was a no brainer that when it came time for Destin Pass, oil would just flow in there also.

Sue hope their plans work your way.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Finally someone who might just have alittle common sense and alot of intestinal fortitude to stand up and say we ain't gonna take it anymore.

·
Registered
437 Posts
:toast

I have wondered why at West Pass (now blocked off completely with no water flow) and Perdido Pass they did not just drop in new Jettyrocks with and an oil collection device of some sort and a siphon in the one area they leave open in the channel for tidal water flow...makes sense to me, but not sure of the costs. Completely closing off water would hurt the bays really bad, but to me, if you close off most of the pass then focus efforts in one "opening" it might be contained. Too large of a project and Pcola Pass is too deep probably for this to work, but could be effective possibly in Destin. Just gotta cut through the red tape, get r done and ask for forgiveness later.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
HANDLE IT. This is what this country needs, some one to stand up and say OK let's do what we can, regardless of the potential BS it may cause. I just hope they know what to do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am soooo glad to hear that. It's about time someone stood up to this ridiculous government stupidity. Hopefully this will work to stop most of the oil and protect the place we all love so dearly.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That isgood news. Always better to ask for forgiveness than ask and receive a no, or worse, no answer. Fully support whatever they have to do to keep it out of the bay.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
They get my vote. Let's put them in DC. I love American "lead, follow, or get out of the way" courage. This should send a message Northbound.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Good on em for making a decision. Indecision is the key to failure.

But, with all good plans there are flaws.

Without damming the pass the entire bay ecosystem will be ruined. We all know booms are worthless, the current is going to wash oil over the booms and the dispersants now have oilin the entire water column so oil can get underneath the booms. Due to the dispersants anything put on top of the water, barges or whatever, will not stop the oil in the water column getting in the bay.

The only way to stop the oil from getting into the bay is to fill up the pass with sand, then dredge it back out when this is over. Destin pass is a man made pass, mother nature never intended a pass to be there. The pass gets dredged regulary to keep it open.

Now, there is a downside to blocking the pass. All of the boats that are involved with the cleanup would either have to stop working or reloacte to Pcola.

So what do you do? Save the bay? Keep some folks from earning a VOO paycheck?

Thats a very tough decision, I am very happy I am not in charge and dont have to make that call. Easy to armchair quarterback.

·
Registered
209 Posts
jspooney (16/06/2010)They get my vote. Let's put them in DC. I love American "lead, follow, or get out of the way" courage. This should send a message Northbound.
+1! Those guys should be running our country. finally some leaders who stand up and do what is right, not what will keep them in office!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts