Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several qualifing reasons to call it the best, quality of pics, battery life(very important),ease of use (don't have be an engineer to work it) and then the features it has. What do you guys say I have 4 different kinds but they each have thier short commings. wow almost left off price

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
So far my favorite is the Moultrie D40, cheap, reliable, fast trigger, good battery life, and good pictures. If I were to buy something else no matter what I would read the reviews on www.chasingame.com first.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I've had the Moultrie D40 and Cuddeback Capture IR. The Moultrie is regular white flash and takes better night pictures, but it's big, bulky, has a slow trigger and will eat you alive in batteries. It's OK to put on a feeder. If you get 300 pictures on a Moultrie...30 will be of deer and the rest will be the sun heating the ground, the wind moving the trees, etc.

Cuddeback wins for reliability, battery life and trigger speed.You have tobe careful how you position it in relation to the sun as itwill under/over expose your pics. Make sure you point it due North or South. The IR pictures are not good past 25' or so. 300 pictures on a Cudde and 280 of them will be animals....

I recently got a Bushnell Trophy Cam based on the great reviews. It's in the field now, so I can't give any data on it yet. My friend had two of themthat were killing batteries, but that might be a fluke as they areknown for 6-12 month battery life.

<U>Moultrie night shot with white flash:</U>

<U>Cudde night shot with IR:</U>

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,577 Posts
I've been a huge advocate of the Moultrie I-40's but the 2 I bought this year were junk. I ended up taking both back. The quality control has gone way down IMO. The cam I got my eye on right now is the new Bushnell Trophy Cam. They are about the size of your hand, from the reviews they have great battery life, and a very fast trigger. I'm waitin on scott's to get a few in. I got dibs on the first couple they get. Saying that my older model I-40Moultries are still running strong. I get about 3000-5000 pics per set of batteries,and trigger speed is about 1.5 secs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the Moultrie I-40 last summer. Around September the digital readout stopped working. I sent it back and they sent me a new camera, then in February the digital quit on that one. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. I will put it in the woods this coming week end. Other than the digital read out problem it takes good pictures and battery life is great

John

·
Registered
771 Posts
The Bushnell Trophy Cam is bad ass!!! I have three now and plan on many more. The Scoutguard is also a great camera. It is actually the same camera, just in a different case. Same goes for the DLC Covert. They all have the same gut's , justthe cases are different. For the Scoutguard, and DLC Covert you have to carry a small remote to program them. Not so with the Bushnell. Bushnell also came out with an improved model this year. They put more illuminators on for better night pic's.They are extremely small, easy to program, and have the best case of the 3 cameras. Plus at $199 you can't beat it! I could go on and on about camera's(have had MANY!!)

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,577 Posts
imkilroy (4/9/2010)The Bushnell Trophy Cam is bad ass!!! I have three now and plan on many more. The Scoutguard is also a great camera. It is actually the same camera, just in a different case. Same goes for the DLC Covert. They all have the same gut's , justthe cases are different. For the Scoutguard, and DLC Covert you have to carry a small remote to program them. Not so with the Bushnell. Bushnell also came out with an improved model this year. They put more illuminators on for better night pic's.They are extremely small, easy to program, and have the best case of the 3 cameras. Plus at $199 you can't beat it! I could go on and on about camera's(have had MANY!!)
I played with oneof those DLC Coverts for a few days a while back...it was a piece of junk. I know it's based on the same format at the bushnell but I think they have different innards... The DLC wasn't put together very well. They plug in remote was difficult and hard to get it to come on when it was suppose to. The sensor cover on the front would spin left and right and expose the inside of the camera...and ittook crappy pictures. I was not impressed and with it being $50 more than the bushnell I will pass! The busnells I have seen were built better and seemed to have better water tightness. Just my .02 on that though...

The Scoutguard is suppose to be very good for the most part.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Grassflatsfisher (4/9/2010)
imkilroy (4/9/2010)The Bushnell Trophy Cam is bad ass!!! I have three now and plan on many more. The Scoutguard is also a great camera. It is actually the same camera, just in a different case. Same goes for the DLC Covert. They all have the same gut's , justthe cases are different. For the Scoutguard, and DLC Covert you have to carry a small remote to program them. Not so with the Bushnell. Bushnell also came out with an improved model this year. They put more illuminators on for better night pic's.They are extremely small, easy to program, and have the best case of the 3 cameras. Plus at $199 you can't beat it! I could go on and on about camera's(have had MANY!!)
I played with oneof those DLC Coverts for a few days a while back...it was a piece of junk. I know it's based on the same format at the bushnell but I think they have different innards... The DLC wasn't put together very well. They plug in remote was difficult and hard to get it to come on when it was suppose to. The sensor cover on the front would spin left and right and expose the inside of the camera...and ittook crappy pictures. I was not impressed and with it being $50 more than the bushnell I will pass! The busnells I have seen were built better and seemed to have better water tightness. Just my .02 on that though...

The Scoutguard is suppose to be very good for the most part.
I agree the Bushnell is the best of the 3. The only problem with the Scoutguard is that it is not weather proof, and you have to carry the same remote for it as you do for the DLC Covert. (Same remote work's both) Remote is small as an Mp3 player, but with the Bushnell the programmer is built into the camera. I own all 3 model'sand I myself prefer the Bushnell.

I keep forgetting to mention the battery life. 8 AA batteries will last you the season. I ran my camera's non stop this last season and never chnaged battery's. It's even better if you get lithium.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts