Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put the boat in sunday at sherman cove. checked the oil before we left. It was a quart low.. added a quart and took off. Went slow and before i could get to the channel the oil pressure dropped to zero and all the oil leaked out(all of it)into the beilge area. rear main seal is all I can think?

·
Registered
782 Posts
sound more like a hole in your oil pan to me. all the oil will not dump out of your engine in 15 minutes fromyour main seals leaking. maybe if your main seals were totally gone. on my old i/o the pan rotted on me, causing the engine to FAIL!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Same here on the oil pan. I have NEVER in all the engines I've worked on seen a seal that would leak that much oil in that short period of time, then I haven't seen everything either. Nothing would surprise me, but think it's the pan. I'd drain the bildge, clean up what I could and with the engine static pour a gallon of diesel in the engine (as you would oil), slowly so if you see it leak you can stop. "Q" how do you know ALL the oil leaked out, you do something you didn't tell?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Must be a merc cruiser. See the oil pan rust thru all the time. The very bottom gets emersed all the time. The oil pan for a four wheel drive vehicle is the same as a marine oil pan. They both have baffles to keep the oil from sloppin':mmmbeer around in ruff terrane or seas. Epoxy coat the new one and that'll end the problem!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
DOUBLE "D" & LV (11/14/2007)if not the oil pan or that area, possibly the oil sender or switch has a hole in it and the pressurized oil was forced out quickly.
4.3 (V-6) If I'm not mistaken is the same design as a V-8, and the oil pressure switch is on the block behind the intake manifold (by the distributor). In this position it would put it about a foot or so forward of the transom, and a leak of that magnitude would of surely covered the top of the engine or cowling.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Tuna Man (11/15/2007)
DOUBLE "D" & LV (11/14/2007)if not the oil pan or that area, possibly the oil sender or switch has a hole in it and the pressurized oil was forced out quickly.
4.3 (V-6) If I'm not mistaken is the same design as a V-8, and the oil pressure switch is on the block behind the intake manifold (by the distributor). In this position it would put it about a foot or so forward of the transom, and a leak of that magnitude would of surely covered the top of the engine or cowling.
Depends on the year. If it has an electric fuel pump there is are actually three oil switches/senders. The oil sender, which is theone that rusts out,in this case is usually down by the oil filter. I have replaced several over the years for this problem.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
sosmarine (11/15/2007)
Depends on the year. If it has an electric fuel pump there is are actually three oil switches/senders. The oil sender, which is theone that rusts out,in this case is usually down by the oil filter. I have replaced several over the years for this problem.
:doh..nice to know

·
Registered
782 Posts
if it was leaking from somewhere like that, it would have been blowing oil every where inside the beilge. it would be all over the place.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Lot's of them rust out above the oil pan plug. The flat area between the motor and the bellhousing.

This is a area that doesn't get painted well when the complete package is painted.

the hole will be just high enough that the oil pan will hold the oil, but with the motor running will slosh and leak out the hole.

No way to repair or in fact see the hole well without the motor removed or the oil pan removed from the motor.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow, I was just sitting here trying to think if you added up the experience involved in the particular post then you really get an understanding of just how good this forum is. You could not go to a repair shop and even come close to the broad spectrum of talent and individual experience that you can find here in just one little post!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me . 4.3 out of Sherman cove. In my case it was a rust hole in the oil filter ( used boat ) . the previous owner didn't change often Obviously. Posner did the "repairs" . I recently had Posnerre-power to the 4.3 MPI ,220hp,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fill your engine with oil, add some leak detecting dye from your local autoparts store start the engine and look for the bright green trail. then follow it back to the source.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
if it's leaking out that quick it's going out under pressure. I would say first look at the filter(did you recently change oil...check the gasket suface) and from there i'd check the pressure sender. Any leak THAT major will be easy to find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts