Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an interesting opinion on the oil spill from a blogger on this web link http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=155528&catid=3

Just wondering if any of you would be willing to support any of these arguments? And are'nt these questions at least worthy of being asked?

When was the last time you heard of an oil rig Just Blowing up? We have hundreds of thousands of them here in Texas. One, just 1000 feet from my home. Has anyone ever attempted to light Crude oil on fire? do you know what kind of heat it would take to cause it to "explode"? <BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Something isnt right here. Why are there "Swat Teams" o the rig? now Where is the investigation as to the cause? - This just doesnt "happen" - oil rigs are made of Metal, Crude oil is harder that you can imagine to catch on fire without some kind of super hot incinciary starter like magnesium - as in a Bomb or military grade explosive - just ask Saddam how he started the rigs on fire in Kuwait - it takes more than a blowtorch! In addition, the safety valves failed uderwater, where the explision apparently took place. Ho wierd is all that? - just weeks after offshore drilling was tenativlye agreed to by the president. Everyone knows there is no one who would oppose offshore drilling here in America right?<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Anyway, my yearly pilgramage to beautiful Santa Rosa Island is not on hold. I hope and pray is will not be as bad as it looks like it will. - "Thou almost pursuadeth me to be a environmental kook". Someone caused this - and they should pay dearly for it. I can only hope if it is a negligent Union worker, that the Unions will fess up. I'm sure its probably the fault of the citizens of the United states, who dont listen to reasonable world citizens who believe we are too greedy and should stop using oil and go back to the dark ages. <BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">I love the Beach, I love The Ocean, I want whoever is responsible to pay to fix it. It is not always the accused that are guilty. The romans used to have a term when they investigated a crime - "Who benefits?" - I dont think this was an accident. If it is, I'll be happy to drop my suspicions, but no one is asking the right questions. and Oil Rigs do not just decide sponatneously combust. Safety f

·
Registered
362 Posts
The "SWAT" teams that were deployed are just a team of engineers and specialty workers that actually work for the oil company. It wasn't an actual police swat team. That is backed up by the radio interview from one of the workers that was actually on the rig in a linked post someone posted earlier. And as far as the explosion, it's the gas that is highly volatile and it's what created enough heat to ignite the crude. All it takes is one little spark or ignition source to make the whole thing go up like a bomb. Not to mention countless fuel lines running all over the platform that in turn ignites the diesel.These blogs and reports I keep seeing are from people that are completely ignorant of what goes on offshore and on rigs and platforms. Everyone is going to have their opinion and idea of what happened out there and why, but most of it is unfounded. I'm not an expert by ANY means, but I know how the oil field works, I've got a good understanding of downhole procedures, and I'm very familiar with the safety systems and equipment used in the industry.

·
eating tasty
3,875 Posts
I don't know the details nor will I speculate, but I do believe this was a very unfortunate accident. I work in the oil industry, and I can tell you that the majority of what is extracted in the gulf is natural gas, not crude and most reserves hold both products. Natural gas is what lit this rig off, not crude oil.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i dont buy into the terrorism theory, first the well was well offshore, so its hard to get to. though not conclusive in and of itself, it bears against this being a terrorist thing. if someone was deliberatly targerting this rig, the proper question is why that particular rig. there are dozens of them off the mouth of the mississippii river, and even more as you head west toward houston. i dont see why a terrosist would target his rig over other rigs (ones that are arguable easier to reach)

also, from what i understand the failure was not on the rig, but on the BOP on the ocean floor. unless greenpeace, or PETA, or the whalewars guy, or al quadahas a mini sub that can go down a mile or so, i dont see deliberate sabotage being a realistic explaination, it would be simply to difficult to pull off. im no expert but im assuming theres a giant leap between car bombs and underwater detonations.

given that well blow outs happen from time to time and occasionaly result in fire ect, i think the overwhelimg evidence points to some kind of mechanical failure, or human error, or both. not sabotage/terrorism

the swat thing is weird, but im assuming when they said swat they werent reffering to the swat teams you immediately think of. if theres someone from the industry that knows if swat team has a special meaning in the oil field id like to know.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Why have we not heard from any of the 120+ men that were supposed to be on the rig when it happened? After every disaster all the major news outlets rush to get some trailer park resident giving their firsthand account of how it all happened...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that answers some of the questions but did the president just agree to offshore drilling a few weeks ago... Did the shut off valve fail and if it did, how or why? We all know some of the green organizations out there are very well funded and i'm sure some of there head representitives have a different perspective then the majority of us citizens.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BIGRIGZ (03/05/2010)Why have we not heard from any of the 120+ men that were supposed to be on the rig when it happened? After every disaster all the major news outlets rush to get some trailer park resident giving their firsthand account of how it all happened...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts