Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of us want to try fishing the rigs. Problem is nether of us have ever fished them.... My question is which one should we go to... Marathon rig or the rigs 12 to 15 miles south of mobile? Both are around 60 miles from Pensacola Pass,,, but we don't know which one to try??? Any advice.. we'd like to catch some big AJs and even yellow fin when they are around... Any advice would be greatly appr.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So some of us want to try fishing the rigs. Problem is nether of us have ever fished them.... My question is which one should we go to... Marathon rig or the rigs 12 to 15 miles south of mobile? Both are around 60 miles from Pensacola Pass,,, but we don't know which one to try??? Any advice.. we'd like to catch some big AJs and even yellow fin when they are around... Any advice would be greatly appr.
you are not going to catch any big AJ's or yellow fin 12 to 15 miles south of Dauphin Island. Water is only around 60 to 80 ft deep. i have dove every rig in that area. They are beat to death by fisherman. You may get lucky and snag a snapper in the 6 to 7 pound range. Your going to have to go deeper that your current plan to get the fish that you are looking for. Those rigs hold cudas spades and a few small kings. They do have some floor mat size flounder during the right time of the year, hence why we dive them so hard.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
try the gas rig 255 if you want some big aj's.
jack

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try the gas rig 255 if you want some big aj's.
jack
is that the Trinidad? I can't find any lat and long for rig 255??

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
i just answered your pm. The Main Pass 255 rig is located 54 miles south of Fort Morgan in 333 feet
jack

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
mr. jack is that a main standing rig with a cat walk that goes over to another smaller structure? and its almost true due south of Ft. Morgan?
no sir. that is one of the four main rigs you speak of. this rig used to be an unmanned gas rig with a warning signal. but i think i remember reading somewhere that they were going to cut it off 90ft below the surface so you will have to get the numbers now. hope this helps.
jack

Reactions: 3rddown and 9 to go

·
Registered
258 Posts
No 255 is under water now. Just the base is left I believe the one you described is 252 or the double yellow i believe if not someone will chime in. 👍😊

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
No 255 is under water now. Just the base is left I believe the one you described is 252 or the yellow jacket i believe if not someone will chime in. 👍😊
so they did cut the 255 down? and you can see the 252?
jack

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
MP 255 was cut off far below the waterline a number of years ago, Last time I was there I didn't even see any legs left, so I think it pretty much gone, cut real close to the bottom. Lost plenty of tackle there over the years... plenty of grunts and groans...... I have them (most) on my GPS saved to another computer.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
i knew old jim would know. send the numbers to this dude so he can catch some aj.
jack

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Launch out of Billy Goat Hole on Dauphin Island (get there early because it is truly a goat roping situation if you don't) and make it out to the Twin Sisters for some decent fish. Stop at the smaller rigs on the way out an make bait. This is a nice familiarization trip while at the same time far enough out to build your confidence.

Reactions: Freedom Won

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
hey, freedom won,

i thought somebody on here would still have the numbers for the 255
petronius Latitude: 29° 06' 18.00" N Longitude: -87° 56' 17.99" W
beer can 2909.820 8759.265
ram powell 29°3'36" N 88°5'24" W
marlin
search on here, hiltons, or the hull truth for oil rig coordinates.
jack

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Petronis and ram powell would be a ride for someone not used to it. Your looking at 160 mile round trip after passing last chance light just to get there and back so he'd really need to consider the boat and fuel reserves.

Reactions: jack2

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Petronis and ram powell would be a ride for someone not used to it. Your looking at 160 mile round trip after passing last chance light just to get there and back so he'd really need to consider the boat and fuel reserves.

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
mark,
you are correct. the four main rigs would be a stretch for a newbie. the closer, unmanned, rigs would be a good starter to see how much the fuel consumption would be. plus, when you go to the main four, you need to stay overnight to get the feel of an overnighter. it is also wise to take somebody who has been there, done that.
jack

Reactions: Freedom Won
1 - 20 of 41 Posts