Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fox 10 out of mobile just had a report from a BP official saying that the report is not true.....

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
That's why I think it would be a good idea to not post information until it can be confirmed with two legitimate national news outlets, not local news outlets, blogs or other forums! :doh

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
of
69Viking (03/05/2010)That's why I think it would be a good idea to not post information until it can be confirmed with two legitimate national news outlets, not local news outlets, blogs or other forums! :doh
It was straight out of the mouth of BPs own person. He said they slowed it. It wasn't until later that another person from BP said it was wrong. Not from a blog or forum. What do you consider "legitimate news outlets"? This was straight out of the horses mouth in a video conference. Here watch this:

<span id=ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl01_lblFullMessage>http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/gulf_oil_spill/bp-says-it-has-slowed-the-oil-leak He states in the video they slowed it and are aggressively working to stop it completely. Maybe he was misinformed or spoke too soon. I am hopeful for anything. The 3 months stuff they are talking blows my mind.

·
Registered
622 Posts
http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/gulf_oil_spill/bp-says-it-has-slowed-the-oil-leak

MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - 3:42 p.m. British Petroleum Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles refuted a statement made earlier in the day by a BP employee, who said the flow of oil from the rig in the Gulf had been slowed. That employee, Jeff Childs, said BP had successfully deployed a ram to reduce the flow of oil from the drill pipe. At an afternoon news conference, Suttles said the ram did move, but it failed to seal the leak properly. Suttles said he had personally spoken to Childs about the matter.

Well they managed to move it..???!!!!

Oh and whatever they did to "upgrade" the fishing forum is working about as well..this thing is slower than BP stopping the leak.

If the thing can be stopped in a week to a month it will still not be as bad as the Exxon Valdez incident.

·
Registered
37 Posts
bmoore, why do you think it won't be as bad as the Exxon Valdez? It has already leaked a similar amount of oil, and it will keep going up. This could be the worst oil disaster to ever happen in the US.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
sniper (03/05/2010)of
69Viking (03/05/2010)That's why I think it would be a good idea to not post information until it can be confirmed with two legitimate national news outlets, not local news outlets, blogs or other forums! :doh
It was straight out of the mouth of BPs own person. He said they slowed it. It wasn't until later that another person from BP said it was wrong. Not from a blog or forum. What do you consider "legitimate news outlets"? This was straight out of the horses mouth in a video conference. Here watch this:

<span id=ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl01_lblFullMessage>http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/gulf_oil_spill/bp-says-it-has-slowed-the-oil-leak He states in the video they slowed it and are aggressively working to stop it completely. Maybe he was misinformed or spoke too soon. I am hopeful for anything. The 3 months stuff they are talking blows my mind.
I would consider legitimate news outlets national outlets such as CNN or ABC News who don't put out critical information until they have at least confirmed it from another source. We all wantit to be stopped or theflow reduced until they can stop it completely, it would just be nicenot to hear that it has happened 5-10 times before it actually happens. Local News Outlets do a lot of back tracking on their news storiesbecause they don't always confirm them.ThatFox 10 news story was out for a whileand it didn't show upon any national news outlets for a reason.

I'm with you and everyone else, we really need this thing to get plugged for real. I can't believe in this day and age somethinglike this isn't taking so long to fix. Sounds like better safety regulations need to beadopted or at the very least they need to shut down drilling when inspections show that safety measures aren't working correctly. It sounds like they new the safety measures they had in place weren't reliable and if that's the case they better fix theproblem before more drilling is allowed.

·
Registered
739 Posts
69Viking (03/05/2010)
sniper (03/05/2010)of

I would consider legitimate news outlets national outlets such as CNN or ABC News who don't put out critical information until they have at least confirmed it from another source. We all wantit to be stopped or theflow reduced until they can stop it completely, it would just be nicenot to hear that it has happened 5-10 times before it actually happens. Local News Outlets do a lot of back tracking on their news storiesbecause they don't always confirm them.ThatFox 10 news story was out for a whileand it didn't show upon any national news outlets for a reason.

I'm with you and everyone else, we really need this thing to get plugged for real. I can't believe in this day and age somethinglike this isn't taking so long to fix. Sounds like better safety regulations need to beadopted or at the very least they need to shut down drilling when inspections show that safety measures aren't working correctly. It sounds like they new the safety measures they had in place weren't reliable and if that's the case they better fix theproblem before more drilling is allowed.
why don't you post all the credible and non-credible sources for us .................Ipray for a remedy/solution ok? get over yourself.I would be the last to start bs if I did not think it was somewhat credible.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
deeptracks (04/05/2010)
69Viking (03/05/2010)
sniper (03/05/2010)of

why don't you post all the credible and non-credible sources for us .................Ipray for a remedy/solution ok? get over yourself.I would be the last to start bs if I did not think it was somewhat credible.
Was I talking to you? The answer would be no but thanks for chiming in, sorry I offended you with my opinion!

·
Registered
209 Posts
deeptracks (04/05/2010)you do not offend me.......You have yourthought's. So they be.
Good job deeptracks. I suspect this oil spill has got us all stressed out and it's easy to type angry. I've had to delete several half typed posts lately. We are all in this together.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This crap is driving me crazy. What a bunch of sheep. Most of you seem to want this to be like the Exxon Valdez.This is not an oil slick like the Exxon Valdez. That slick was a foot thick. This slick is a sheen on the water, but it is a slick. The national media makes millions by selling news andalmost alway BAD news.

In other posts, I have linked other sources. I have news for you, they are trying to install a valve TONIGHT. Another drill ship is onsite drilling. The flow has slowed because they crimped the pipe. The flows are still an estimate and I bet they are way HIGH.

Again here is a link to a local LA new source. They are constantly updating the story.

http://thehayride.com/2010/05/the-latest-on-the-gulf-oil-spill-via-upstream-online-and-some-troubling-questions/

Also, please check out upstreamonline.com which as an idustry news source.

Call me crazy, but I think this is all a bunch of hype. In the end, your going to see that a lot less oil than what they are saying is leaking out. The environmental damage is going to be drop in the bucket to what is being predicted. If this prediction is pissing you off or making you boil, ask yourself WHY? For those of you who have not swallowed, SPIT THE HOOK.

In closing, I'm not saying this is NOTHING or that it is not bad for the gulf or the environment. Its bad, but not as bad as the what they families of the ones who died are dealing with and not as bad as the HYPE the media and government is pumping into our homes.

·
Premium Member
11,149 Posts
daddytime (04/05/2010)This crap is driving me crazy. What a bunch of sheep. Most of you seem to want this to be like the Exxon Valdez.This is not an oil slick like the Exxon Valdez. That slick was a foot thick. This slick is a sheen on the water, but it is a slick. The national media makes millions by selling news andalmost alway BAD news.

In other posts, I have linked other sources. I have news for you, they are trying to install a valve TONIGHT. Another drill ship is onsite drilling. The flow has slowed because they crimped the pipe. The flows are still an estimate and I bet they are way HIGH.

Again here is a link to a local LA new source. They are constantly updating the story.

http://thehayride.com/2010/05/the-latest-on-the-gulf-oil-spill-via-upstream-online-and-some-troubling-questions/

Call me crazy, but I think this is all a bunch of hype. In the end, your going to see that a lot less oil than what they are saying is leaking out. The environmental damage is going to be drop in the bucket to what is being predicted. If this prediction is pissing you off or making you boil, ask yourself WHY? For those of you who have not swallowed, SPIT THE HOOK.

In closing, I'm not saying this is NOTHING or that it is not bad for the gulf or the environment. Its bad, but not as bad as the what they families of the ones who died are dealing with and not as bad as the HYPE the media and government is pumping into our homes.
I'm kinda thinking the same thing and hoping i'm right. The good ole media is notorious for this kinda stuff. This is what they live for. Besides, good news is just a waste of airtime. Like I said, I hope i'm right.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
As I have said elsewhere....

Panic, lack of understanding, rumors and fear of the unknown....worst enemies you could ask for right now.....

Seems to be an abundance of all the above....

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
yeah wade, completely agree...more of a wait and see rather than knee jerk reactions and endless threads about " i heard this and i heard that"...nothing wrong with being proactive than being reactive to a rumor mill...either way...ain't looking good...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good informative website. Thanks for posting.

jlw1972 (04/05/2010)
daddytime (04/05/2010)This crap is driving me crazy. What a bunch of sheep. Most of you seem to want this to be like the Exxon Valdez.This is not an oil slick like the Exxon Valdez. That slick was a foot thick. This slick is a sheen on the water, but it is a slick. The national media makes millions by selling news andalmost alway BAD news.

I'm kinda thinking the same thing and hoping i'm right. The good ole media is notorious for this kinda stuff. This is what they live for. Besides, good news is just a waste of airtime. Like I said, I hope i'm right.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Man I dont understand the arguing about what has or has not happened. People on here are just looking for any hope/encouragement they can get. The best thing anyone can do is wake up in the morning and say a little prayer and then try and dedicate any free time to help. No better source for info than first hand.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Why do I think this will not be as bad as the Exxon Valdez incident?

A number of reasons. I agree with Daddytime..there is a TON of media and hype on this thing. We need to stick to the facts.

Now, if NOAA is correct..(and alot of this is based on the assumption that they are..)

That oil tanker ran aground on the Bligh Reef in Alaska's Prince William Sound in 1989 and spilled 11 million gallons of crude oil.

1. The Valdez ran aground in Prince William Sound, not 40 miles off the coast
2. The Valdez leaked 11 million gallons... if NOAA is correct and 210000 gallons are being leaked a day it will take 52.38 days for the amount to equal the Valdez, a little less than two months.
3. The weather is warmer here and the breakdown of oil will occur faster
4. The oil is not refined and the breakdown will occur faster (from what I have read)

While still a horrible event I don't believe it will be as bad as the doomers forcast and I am going to go fishing a diving until I see an oil slick over my wreck or I am run off by the feds.

Very informative and hopeful Daddytime!

http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/article213982.ece

The weather is now working for us. Calmer seas and winds out of the North..for now. Buy us some time.

The first collection dome is on the way.

The relief well was started Sunday.

A valve is being placed on the end of the ruptured drill pipe..be in place "soon"

BP is looking at installing a new blowout preventer (BOP) on top of the existing well, which could then be used to shut the well

You folks can read the article but it is the best news I have heard so far. At least SOMETHING is being done.

TUNIS!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts