Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to CNN this morn they have stopped using thedispersantsbecause the EPA said they need to check the impact of them, and until further study, to stop. The company that makes thedispersantsthough is the only ones that know the chemical makeup of them because it is a closely guarded trade secret.

And just reported, the inside of the dome filled with hydrates, which are gas crystals similar to ice crystals. BP expected those to form in the hoses coming to the surface, and was planning on trying to use possibly heated water pumped from the surface to warm the collection hoses, but they did not realize that they would collect in the dome itself.

The dome has now been moved beside the leak, and BP is trying to figure out options to heat the dome to stop the formation of the hydrates.

I would imagine heating a 100 some ton concrete ans steel structure a mile deep would be difficult.

As of now, the well continues to leak oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What would happen if they would have left the dome in place and let it freeze up. Wouldn't that at least slow down the flow of oil. From an outside point of view it appears that they are not trying real hard to stop the flow but are concentrating on trying to save the well. I know for sure that the solution is always easier when you are 500 miles away and never had any kind of experience at the job.

·
Super Moderator
20,450 Posts
muscall (08/05/2010)What would happen if they would have left the dome in place and let it freeze up. Wouldn't that at least slow down the flow of oil. From an outside point of view it appears that they are not trying real hard to stop the flow but are concentrating on trying to save the well. I know for sure that the solution is always easier when you are 500 miles away and never had any kind of experience at the job.
By leaving it over it would probably be the same concept of you holding your hand 2" over a hose, the same amount is still coming out it just going in a different direction.

·
Registered
0 Posts
<span style="font-size: 9pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">One solution I dreamed up was to run a insulated loop of pipe thru the collection pipe. The part that goes into the dome would be un-insulated to help heat the inside of the dome. I would also put a heating probe to verify you are not heating the methane to fast and creating another blowout situation. If you think this is a good idea you might forward it onto the appropriate people as have no connections at all to anyone. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Stop the Oil leak now!!<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Bluebird<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Clay-Doh (08/05/2010)According to CNN this morn they have stopped using thedispersantsbecause the EPA said they need to check the impact of them, and until further study, to stop. The company that makes thedispersantsthough is the only ones that know the chemical makeup of them because it is a closely guarded trade secret.

And just reported, the inside of the dome filled with hydrates, which are gas crystals similar to ice crystals. BP expected those to form in the hoses coming to the surface, and was planning on trying to use possibly heated water pumped from the surface to warm the collection hoses, but they did not realize that they would collect in the dome itself.

The dome has now been moved beside the leak, and BP is trying to figure out options to heat the dome to stop the formation of the hydrates.

I would imagine heating a 100 some ton concrete ans steel structure a mile deep would be difficult.

As of now, the well continues to leak oil.
If they were going to heat the pipes up to "melt" prevent the crystals, What difference would it make if the crystals formed before or after it got into the hose?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They siad they had already thought they may need to heat the collector hose. I thinking getting hot water dowen 5,000 feet into frigid tempatures, and it still haveing an effect would work much easier on the collector hose. But still don't see how you can heat a 4 story concrete and steel 150 ton structure adequetly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Clay-Doh (09/05/2010)They siad they had already thought they may need to heat the collector hose. I thinking getting hot water dowen 5,000 feet into frigid tempatures, and it still haveing an effect would work much easier on the collector hose. But still don't see how you can heat a 4 story concrete and steel 150 ton structure adequetly.
You don't all you have to do is heat the water inside the structure and the Concrete and steal would help with insulation.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
plagerized from a pnj poster:

Well we now know the initial try has failed due to ice crystalsclogging the funnel.

I think the problem is similar to this: Have youever put a bottle of soda in the freezer for a few to get it reallycold quick? When you take it out the air bubble moves around and thesoda looks normal. But when you unscrew the cap, ice crystals form andfloat to the top clogging the neck.

I think the same phenom ishappening down under. The oil and gasses are under pressure when belowthe sea floor. But once they escape, they expand and the water in thepressurized mix crystallizes and then ends up plugging the funnel at thetop of the box.
Maybe a much taller box?
Maybe start stacking concretecylinders like the large diameter concrete sewer/culvert pipe sectionsvertically until a certain level way above the sea floor is reached.
Then place a funnel on top.

I think I read somewhere that the temperatures are around the low 40's at 5000 feet.
Maybe they only need to pump warmer surface water down there???

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the temperatures are around the low 40's at 5000 feet.
Maybe they only need to pump warmer surface water down there???[/quote]

Simplicity. I like it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts