Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any body got em? how do you like them? i'm thinking of swapping over so i won't have to worry about greasing. seems it would be alot easier to just look down there and know they were good. i am kinda compulsive about grease in my wheel bearings. i actually think i've done blown a couple seals from overgreasing. can't help it, i keep thinking i'm gonna miss a trip because of a bearing. i was getting over it until today.one of my buddies was on his way down to meet me until ( you guessed it) bearing went out. his boat is sitting in foley with 3 wheels on it.:banghead it's about 110 miles round trip my house to launch. maybe i'm making to big of deal out of this, i don't know. what do ya'll think? oil bath vs. grease bearing do you think i'm worrying about this to much?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
Don't do it unless you want a huge repair bill. I switched all mine over to grease after the first year. I had all of them fail just out of warranty and one every single year I had the boat. I wouldn't recommend them to my enemy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
IF, you decide to switch, make sure you get the metal caps, not the plastic. It doesn't take much to break the plastic caps and you loose your lube. I would also add a little grease to the cap before screwing it on.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Most trailers that start with them also have Posi-Lube spindles. Most people get tired of the leaks and Start Greasing the Spindles.

Posi Lube Spindles are not to be confused with Bearing Buddies.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
All I have ever hadis bearing buddys and I make a trip to the keys every year (1800 Miles round trip) never had a bearing failure. I think the problem with the liquid filled ones will be the inner seal. I have never hadmy sealsseal without some leakage of grease. I just pumpmine up after about every other trip whilelocal launching and beforeI launch after a Key's trip and before launching when I return.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
sealark (4/11/2010)All I have ever hadis bearing buddys and I make a trip to the keys every year (1800 Miles round trip) never had a bearing failure. I think the problem with the liquid filled ones will be the inner seal. I have never hadmy sealsseal without some leakage of grease. I just pumpmine up after about every other trip whilelocal launching and beforeI launch after a Key's trip and before launching when I return.
You are absolutely correct, the spindle gets hot and the oil is thin and when you put it down into the water it sucks in water and if it is salt it is the kiss of death. Like I saidI have repaired the same one on my trailer 5 times and the other three at least once. If you want great trailer parts check with Hi Tech Marine in Panama City. They were going to replace two spindles and two hubs for me for $ 200 bucks, I couldn't touch that for less anywherethat I checked.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
All I have ever had is bearing buddys ......I have never had my seals seal without some leakage of grease. I just pump mine up after about every other trip while local launching and before I launch after a Key's trip and before launching when I return.

That is why they leak past the seals.

It's the hyd pressure and design of Bearing Buddies....Not to be confused with Posi-Lube or Sure -Lube [same thing]

Posi-Lube ----Sure Lube design:

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've got the posi lube spindles on now. sounds like i already have what i need. thanks for the input, i think i'll stay with the grease bearing set up. once again ya'll have probablly saved me some money. thanks to all for the input. i have one that is not taking grease right. i guess i'll take it apart and clean it. anymore input welcome, i'll be checking back. thanks

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,261 Posts
I'm old school and just stick with the grease hubs and never had any bearing failure. Just a tire or two parts ways with the hub thats all. :hoppingmad Bobby,ain't those posi-lube hubs incorporated into the axle some ways?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
jlw1972 (4/11/2010)i've got the posi lube spindles on now. sounds like i already have what i need. thanks for the input, i think i'll stay with the grease bearing set up. once again ya'll have probably saved me some money. thanks to all for the input. i have one that is not taking grease right. i guess i'll take it apart and clean it. anymore input welcome, i'll be checking back. thanks
I can tell you the new system that Hi Tech Marine put on my trailer is awesome. It doesn't have bearing buddies, it has the rubber caps that pop into the end of the bearing cap. They said it eliminated the pressure build up from heat trapped and therefore eliminates the water sucking into the rear seal. All you do is fill the entire hub with grease and that stops the water from getting into the bearings. I guarantee it will beat what I had.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
I forgot to add that the leaking grease keeps the inside hubs lubed so they dont rust. I have only been using this method for 45 years without incident so let them leak from over pressure:doh

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sealark (4/11/2010)I forgot to add that the leaking grease keeps the inside hubs lubed so they dont rust. I have only been using this method for 45 years without incident so let them leak from over pressure:doh
Good enough for me. I'm convinced. Thank you

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,525 Posts
When is a bearing buddy full? I stop when I get grease coming out the little holes on the side of the buddy. Is that correct?

Jim

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
jim t (4/11/2010)When is a bearing buddy full? I stop when I get grease coming out the little holes on the side of the buddy. Is that correct?

Jim
Keep filling until the tire starts bulging.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,525 Posts
lobsterman (4/11/2010)
jim t (4/11/2010)When is a bearing buddy full? I stop when I get grease coming out the little holes on the side of the buddy. Is that correct?

Jim
I just spit lemonade out my nose... thanks!!!:letsdrink:letsdrink

Jim

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lobsterman (4/11/2010)

Jim
Good one, Good one

I guess i've been doing right all along. I thought i was the only one with this phobia.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
i have one that is not taking grease right. i guess i'll take it apart and clean it.

That tells me they have not been lubed on a regular basis. Grease is hard and caked. Or the zerk fitting is screwed up.

Bobby,ain't those posi-lube hubs incorporated into the axle some ways?

Yes...It is the style of spindle they use.

I can tell you the new system that Hi Tech Marine put on my trailer is awesome. It doesn't have bearing buddies, it has the rubber caps that pop into the end of the bearing cap. They said it eliminated the pressure build up from heat trapped and therefore eliminates the water sucking into the rear seal. All you do is fill the entire hub with grease and that stops the water from getting into the bearings. I guarantee it will beat what I had.

That is a Posi-Lube system. :)

I stop when I get grease coming out the little holes on the side of the buddy.

Holes? What holes?

Does the cap have a little rubber plug that you remove to get to the zerk fitting?

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
X-Shark (4/11/2010)
i have one that is not taking grease right. i guess i'll take it apart and clean it.
That tells me they have not been lubed on a regular basis. Grease is hard and caked. Or the zerk fitting is screwed up.

Holes? What holes?

Does the cap have a little rubber plug that you remove to get to the zerk fitting?
I think it's gonna be the fitting. it was taking grease and then one day, notta

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jlw1972 (4/11/2010)
X-Shark (4/11/2010)

Holes? What holes?

I think it's gonna be the fitting. it was taking grease and then one day, notta

they were not greased before i bought the boat. the guy i bought the boat from called them perma lube something and said they never had to be greased. i new different though. he only lived a couple miles from his launch.i guess thats why he got away with it. first thing i did when i got home was jack it up and start shaking tires. i guess it could be some old grease.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts