Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I came down 2 years ago my brother was stationed at NAS and I did fishing from the surf with help from you all I landed a 28lb42in red. THANK YOU!
This time I’m coming down in June with a kayak and staying right by the Pensacola beach rd bridge. Any advice on tactics or fish to catch from kayak in Pensacola bay? Should I get live bait and drop down along the bridge or just kayak around with bait on bottom? Any advice helps.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you're staying on the Gulf Breeze side of the 3-Mile bridge, we're in the middle of construction of a new bridge, and it would be sketchy to try to kayak anywhere around there with all the barges and work boats moving around. You might be able to paddle south along the shoreline towards Fair Point and be okay, but you oughta consider taking the yak over to the Intracoastal and fishing the Sikes or the grass flats for trout and reds. Can launch at Shoreline boat ramp or Naval Live Oaks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would actually be staying on gulf breeze side by shoreline park this time. So kayaking around Bob Sikes bridge could be productive using live boat on Carolina rig??? Would like to try and catch some grouper or pretty much big fish I can’t get this time around I will be releasing everything I catch. Any advice on rig setup would be appreciated.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would actually be staying on gulf breeze side by shoreline park this time. So kayaking around Bob Sikes bridge could be productive using live boat on Carolina rig??? Would like to try and catch some grouper or pretty much big fish I can’t get this time around I will be releasing everything I catch. Any advice on rig setup would be appreciated.

Good deal, I was worried you were going to be moving around the construction in a yak. From the Shoreline Park side, you're better off fishing the flats for specks and reds, but if you feel like paddling a couple of miles, there is a grouper hole around the channel markers west of Deer Point where the northbound barge channel meets the Intracoastal. Use a Carolina rig with a live pinfish on a circle hook for grouper. I don't fish around the Sikes so I can't help there.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I forget the marker numbers, but it may be #20 or #24, and it's on the same line but farther out than your second picture is showing. It's where the bay meets the intracoastal, and ship and barge traffic turns north towards the 3-mile bridge. It would be quite the kayak trip, but it's the closest hole I know of from Shoreline. It's about 40 feet deep around the marker.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate that very much I’ll be kayaking all around so I’ll give that spot a days worth of time for sure. I’ll have to send you guys pics if I hook up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts