Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Offshore Yacht brand of boat?

3K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  kanaka 
#1 ·
My boss has a 1990 21’ offshore yacht he use to run. It’s been sitting for a while and wants it gone. Motor had some issues and deck is soft. Currently not running. I don’t know anymore about it. It needs tires and said I can have it. It’s titled. Anyone know anything about these boats? I’m going to look at it today and take some pictures.

#2 ·
The best thing to do if someone tries to give you a free boat is to knee them in the crotch and get away as fast as you can to a well lit area, cause you are about to get F'd.

Based on what you have described, I would pass. Without engines a boat is just a big chunk of wood and fiberglass and if the core is gone...well there just ain't much to work with. I've tried to resurrect a couple myself and it's a loosing, costly, continuous battle.

#14 ·
Okay appreciate the honest feedback. I forgot to say the boat is FREE. Would it be worth to bring it home. I live in the country. Clean it up and have a boat guy give me an honest opinion on it? Walking on the deck I only felt a few soft spots. The boat was sea worthy up to around 5 years ago when he had motor issues. He said it took waves like a dream. The boat is basic so seems easy to work on. It’s a wide boat with lots of deck space. if I pulled up floor I could determine extent of damage? Transom felt extremely Solid. Worst case I could sell trailer and a few parts....????

#21 ·
The lines are interesting and have potential. Any money/time you spend on it is sunk cost and you will never recover any, or at least most, of that. So if you spend the time/money to make it usable, is it a boat you would want? Do you like doing the restoration (time) or would it all be money you're spending? Factor in: if, and it's a big if, you get the motor running, is it a motor you will trust with your life? (Marketwise, the motor is worthless.)

#22 ·
I know one thing, it's free go get it and if no good sell it for what you paid, nothing. 20 years ago it would be in my yard. Make the boat seaworthy, new engine you got a ugley perfect boat like my 20.6 wellcraft.

#26 ·
OK thanks guys. I understand. I’m going to have a boat guy look at it and give it His honest opinion. If it’s to the point it’s not worth the rebuild Then I am not going to mess with it. I just feel like it’s in better shape than the pictures express. But we will see....I will keep y’all posted what I find for those that are curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Can you spend the time and money on renovation? Do you want to spend time and money on this boat? There is some good pro/con advice here. I agree with Sealark that if it is free, take it home and sleep on it. If you change your mind, that chainsaw idea is still there. Look at some posts from guys on the forum who have restored old boats. I have to admit restoration is tempting after looking at before and after photos.

#29 ·
Don't listen to the ney sayers. You can do what you set your mind on. You learned to fly a plane. Get your hands dirty now. And in the future you can do anything. And be proud of it. Can't beat the cost.

#32 ·
"A Free Boat ain't Free" That's $30,000 to fix. Oh.....and it's a open transom....which you do NOT want for the Gulf.
Motor
Fuel tank
Paint
Electrical
New electronics's
Trailer will for sure need $1500 to $2000

#34 ·
Well hell! You guys talked me out of it. I was pretty motivated but X-sharks comment put the nail in the coffin. I appreciate the honesty. I do believe I could do this project with some help but to make it the way I want to be safe, monetarily just doesn’t seem to be worth it. Oh well.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.