Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
The lines are interesting and have potential. Any money/time you spend on it is sunk cost and you will never recover any, or at least most, of that. So if you spend the time/money to make it usable, is it a boat you would want? Do you like doing the restoration (time) or would it all be money you're spending? Factor in: if, and it's a big if, you get the motor running, is it a motor you will trust with your life? (Marketwise, the motor is worthless.)

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I know one thing, it's free go get it and if no good sell it for what you paid, nothing. 20 years ago it would be in my yard. Make the boat seaworthy, new engine you got a ugley perfect boat like my 20.6 wellcraft.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I know one thing, it's free go get it and if no good sell it for what you paid, nothing. 20 years ago it would be in my yard. Make the boat seaworthy, new engine you got a ugley perfect boat like my 20.6 wellcraft.
great advice!

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
great advice!
Guessing you’ve never rebuilt a boat? Stringers, transome and floor will cost more to repair that the boat will ever be worth. Then throw another $5k for a decent motor. Not saying it can’t be done people just don’t associate the real world cost and work it takes. Shoot XShark a PM, he can give you real world experiences, he’s rebuilt a few boats.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,376 Posts
Guessing you’ve never rebuilt a boat? Stringers, transome and floor will cost more to repair that the boat will ever be worth. Then throw another $5k for a decent motor. Not saying it can’t be done people just don’t associate the real world cost and work it takes. Shoot XShark a PM, he can give you real world experiences, he’s rebuilt a few boats.
This.

I can bet the stringers and transom are wood (I guess which are rotten). Replacing them would cost a lot of money even if you use polyester resin. If you decided to use epoxy resin you are talking a pile of money, if you try and hit the middle of the road and use Vinyl Ester resin that is in the middle between poly and epoxy it's a little more then poly and cheaper then epoxy but only has a 3 month shelf life from date of manufactured not when you start to use it. I just did a overkill repair on the Skiff and I used 10 yards of 1708 and 4 gallons of polyester resin (totalboat brand). 1708 bi axial glass is some badass stuff but it drinks the resin but like I said I do overkill everything. lol

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK thanks guys. I understand. I’m going to have a boat guy look at it and give it His honest opinion. If it’s to the point it’s not worth the rebuild Then I am not going to mess with it. I just feel like it’s in better shape than the pictures express. But we will see....I will keep y’all posted what I find for those that are curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,376 Posts
Just in case anyone likes doing this kinda stuff I watch a ton of Andy's videos from Boatworks Today, this guy really know his stuff.

Example

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Can you spend the time and money on renovation? Do you want to spend time and money on this boat? There is some good pro/con advice here. I agree with Sealark that if it is free, take it home and sleep on it. If you change your mind, that chainsaw idea is still there. Look at some posts from guys on the forum who have restored old boats. I have to admit restoration is tempting after looking at before and after photos.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Don't listen to the ney sayers. You can do what you set your mind on. You learned to fly a plane. Get your hands dirty now. And in the future you can do anything. And be proud of it. Can't beat the cost.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
If it was a cape horn I wouldn't even blink, I would do it. Either way I would try and get sealark to do most of the sanding.
No thanks on sanding. I itch just reading that word. You sand to make it look good grinding and cover is what I do. Just gonna get covered with Fish, lobsters blood and guts.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
"A Free Boat ain't Free" That's $30,000 to fix. Oh.....and it's a open transom....which you do NOT want for the Gulf.
Motor
Fuel tank
Paint
Electrical
New electronics's
Trailer will for sure need $1500 to $2000

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well hell! You guys talked me out of it. I was pretty motivated but X-sharks comment put the nail in the coffin. I appreciate the honesty. I do believe I could do this project with some help but to make it the way I want to be safe, monetarily just doesn’t seem to be worth it. Oh well.....

21 - 35 of 35 Posts