Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to take advantage of a good weather weekend to get out after the elusive tuna fish. I started out on friday with Vicki and her group. I was going to start in close looking for lane snapper because it was fairly rough and sneak out later after it calmed. The lanes didnt cooperate so we just slowly headed offshore looking for some tuna fish. The first stop was ok as we boxed a few blackfin on the troll. Headed out a little farther to a floater and on the first pass we doubled up on yellowfin and then picked up one on a popper while we were doubled up. I put the baits back in and caught another one on the troll before they shut down. They were popping around and we got another on a popper before they turned finicky. I ran over to the next rig and doubled up again before they got finicky on the troll. We picked up a couple more on poppers to end the day with nine yellowfin in the 30 pound range. </p>

I had Vicki and her group back again on day two and we made a move to another rig to start off to see what was going on. Caught a couple trolling early on as well as one on a popper before they quit eating lures. Settled down to making some chum drifts and picked up another 4 before we called it a day with 7 yf and headed back to the house.</p>

I picked up a grouip at the dock saturday night that had driven in from miami without a charter and ran into me while I was fueling up. I told them to meet me at 530 and we would be ready to go. They showed up a little late but we pulled away around 6 or so and headed out. Caught a couple yf real quick on the troll baits before they shut off on lures. Try as I might I could not get one to hit a popper today for anythign. The middle of the day was a lull kinda although we did see plenty of yf busting up on real small minnows. I got over to my last spot and caught one off chum pretty quick. Made another dry drift or two and then set up for a final drift. We missed one and then hooked one on chum and I saw the fish busting again and I threw into them and finally I thought I had gotten one to eat. We landed the chum fish and then we got the popper fish. I had snagged it in the tail so I guess that was just one unlucky fish. The guys were satisfied with 6 yf so we headed to the dock with our catch.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice report, I appreciate the details, poppers and the troll baits. I am coming down to Venice on the 6th of may. staying at the lodge. I run a 2610 pro-line w/225 honda's. I had always used a guide in my past trips, but I am excited to find them myself this time. I amthink on targeting the floaters. do you know of any online maps or gps corr. for this area. to help find them faster, and plan my day. I hold 200 gals of fuel, and would like to get out to some less pressured rigs, any advice is greatly appreciated Capt.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry for the late reply...I've been having technical dificulties. That trip was definitely a bucket list trip. Capt Eddie took no prisoners. The first YFT we trolled for scared the shiat out of me! I was not ready for the shear power of that dang thing! I told my bud it was like standing on the freeway and grabbing a pickup truck as it drives by...WOW. I had a little more confidence the second day and it was a blast! I booked my next trip at the dock Glad we had two days as the first day was rather "sporty"...boat went up in the air and you were standing somewhere else when it landed. Managed to land 9 keeper YFT in that slop! For some reason I never take freaking pics during the trip...grrrr. Will work on that. So I knew we had the right Capt when at the end of day two; we were screaming back to the marina with tons of meat and all of a sudden Capt turns HARD to port. He seen some tuna splashing and chased them down! Just to make the point on the mighty fighting tuna....to date I have had no trouble with 40lb AJ, 12ft hammerhead, big as hell grouper, sailfish, marlin, every other damn thing but I swear that 30 and 40 pound tuna about WHIPPED MY ASS. Can't wait to go again!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vic

Only mad I was not invited! You can make it up by dropping some Tuna steaks, I will cook. When will you be in town to head out with Michelle and I? We are headed to the Keys for a few days. Be back May 2nd. Need to BS about Shirt Duty too, over some beer!

Hecklures'

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think you guys got back the day after this trip. I will definitely bring you a cooler full! When are you guys going to the Keys?? You have to pass right by my house to get there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts