Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been fishing inshore for about 3 months now and am ready to head offshore and wanted some advice.

Currently I have an 11' OK trident that I fish out of. Would this be big enough to head off shore in or should I look into investing in something larger.

What type of rod/reel should I invest in? I've been looking at a Penn Battle 5000 combo. Would this be big enough or should I look at something else. I have around a $200 budget.

Also any special safety equipment needed. I've already got a good PFD and leashes for everything. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
So I've been fishing inshore for about 3 months now and am ready to head offshore and wanted some advice.

Currently I have an 11' OK trident that I fish out of. Would this be big enough to head off shore in or should I look into investing in something larger.

What type of rod/reel should I invest in? I've been looking at a Penn Battle 5000 combo. Would this be big enough or should I look at something else. I have around a $200 budget.

Also any special safety equipment needed. I've already got a good PFD and leashes for everything. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
I'd fish what you have for now brother. Pick nice smooth days and watch the wind forecast very closely. A north wind can spell disaster in a hurry. We have had perfect conditions lately but always a mild north breeze. We will be heading out again next weekend trying to capitalize on kings. Your more than welcome to come along but remember we will be using trolling motors .

The battle 5000 is great for what we do in the gulf. I'd suggest spooling it with braid.

As far as safety goes I think the best thing that you can bring is a solid fishing partner. The normal stuff applies too like water, a snack, sunscreen, hat, glasses, whistle etc. If you plan on bringing a cooler make sure it has a latch for obvious reasons. I always have a nice set of pliers on board tucked just under my seat under my right thigh. My fish grips are under my left thigh and I keep a little gaff strapped into a paddle holder on the side of my Trident 15.

Hope I helped.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Go with what you've got for now. You'll find that Trident 11 will excel when going through the surf due to it's maneuverability and acceleration. Only disadvantage will be tracking once you're past the surf. If you're paddling more than a few miles in a day, it'll wear you out faster than in a longer boat due to constantly having to make small corrections to keep going straight.

When dealing with the Gulf, be aware of conditions because they WILL CHANGE while you're out there. Believe it or not, landing in surf is when you're most vulnerable to being dumped. If a wave catches your kayak, it'll try to spin the stern forward and if you let it, will dump you towards shore and then throw your kayak at you. Be sure to WEAR YOUR PFD AT ALL TIMES!!! I don't care how good of a swimmer you are, if you get dumped and then hit in the head by your own yak, you need you PFD to keep you at the surface long enough for someone to get to you. Also, DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that once you're past the surf you can take your PFD off. When $#!t hits the fan offshore, it hits FAST and there's no time to dig your PFD out from under a bungee or worse out of a hatch!!!

That 5000 will be just fine for doing a lot of things in the Gulf from a Yak if you spool it up with 20-30lbs braid. Put it on a lightweight jigging rod and you'll be able to fish with it all day and it'll tire you out a lot less than a heavier boat rod.

Just keep in mind that you'll eventually want to add a bigger combo to your offshore arsenal for dedicated bigger targets such as sharks, big kings, grouper digging. A big conventional will probably be the next big ticket item, something that can hold 300-400yds of 40-50lbs mono or 50-65ish lbs braid. However, don't get rid of the 5000 because it'll be a very versatile combo to have including heavy inshore use!

Good luck!
Alex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts