Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in the Portofino area of Pesacola beach late May early June - I am experienced chasing bull reds and trout in the marshes and coastal Louisiana - any tips or suggestions on tackle/bait , where would be good spot to try , whats bitting, etc... Any info would be helpful Thanks - I planned to fish Gulf side for something I can't easily fish for here (reds&specks)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of guys use cigar minnows on a duster and/or naked with a treble hookup for kings/cobia/BFT etc... Also clark spoons and gotchas for spanish/kings. Or find any offshore structure and you will find plenty of red snapper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm heading out from Portofino beach how far past 2nd sandbar before i may come across BFT? That would make my day !

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Also should i pay more attention to time of day or tides?
I'd pay more attention to not getting raped in the surf :D

I've had my best and biggest fish around 8-10am. I'm a little different than most guys offshore, as I troll frozen ballyhoo. The bigger the better. I also use a weighted trolling rig, usually a 3/4 oz jighead holding the fishes bill.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

I've had my best and biggest fish around 8-10am. I'm a little different than most guys offshore, as I troll frozen ballyhoo. The bigger the better. I also use a weighted trolling rig, usually a 3/4 oz jighead holding the fishes bill.
Could you post a pic of your hoo set up? I have tried a few times, but the standard king rig is not cutting it.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
If I'm heading out from Portofino beach how far past 2nd sandbar before i may come across BFT? That would make my day !
BFT are constantly moving and moving fast. Not particularly a fish you can specifically target. However Ive seen em as close as the first bar busting on bait in 4 ft of water.

You arent coming in the best time to get them though they are sporatically caught through out the summer. Maybe a dozen, if that are caught off the local beaches during the summer months. Sept-Nov is the best time for them.

When trolling its best to look for something different. Rather its contour changes, color changes, tide lines, weed lines or bottom structure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info! Lol I'm looking to target what ever is biting! But a Bft would make a great pic for my collection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BFT are constantly moving and moving fast. Not particularly a fish you can specifically target. However Ive seen em as close as the first bar busting on bait in 4 ft of water.

You arent coming in the best time to get them though they are sporatically caught through out the summer. Maybe a dozen, if that are caught off the local beaches during the summer months. Sept-Nov is the best time for them.

When trolling its best to look for something different. Rather its contour changes, color changes, tide lines, weed lines or bottom structure.
Ill be staying on 10th floor facing beach figure I'll use that to my advantage for scouting "something different"

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Could you post a pic of your hoo set up? I have tried a few times, but the standard king rig is not cutting it.

image-21644148.jpg

Standard homemade trolling rig, but jig head to get to deeper during slow troll. 40# single strand. Sorry, Don't have a ballyhoo right now to attach for the pic...lol

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Ill be staying on 10th floor facing beach figure I'll use that to my advantage for scouting "something different"
Keep a lookout for cobia lol:thumbup:

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
When you see a cobia it helps to throw a jig at it. Offshore last tuesday I was releasing a red snapper and a ling was ten feet from my yak. I stared at it for thirty seconds before I realized THROW THE JIG!!!!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts

Hi, how do you keep this from spinning? Or does it naturally not spin?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts