Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you dont mind me asking, what would be the main issues for a paddler? Unfortunately I cant afford peddles at the moment so Id like to know my limitations before I jump into any future trips.

BTW The fact that you would invite a stranger to join you, peddles or not, is very nice of you :notworthy:
What JD said. I honestly could not imagine bottom fishing in a paddle yak. Always drifting around and have to put your rod down then paddle back. But really the biggest thing is paddling 4-7 miles out. I'm in the greatest shape of my life with a super strong back an there is no way in hell I could do that and back. Even going out there with the peddle yak my legs burn a little.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Bottom fishing with a paddle kayak is a PITA. You have to go up current/wind, put down your paddle, pick up your rod, drop your bait down, drift over the spot, reel up after youve passed it, put your rod down, pick up your paddle and repeat.

With my Hobie I get right over the spot, put my bow into the current/wind and peddle just fast enough to hold me over the spot with a bait in the water the whole time.
Rookie! I'm j/k lol. Blake R and myself went a few weekends ago and it wasn't horrible but definitely took some coordination lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What JD said. I honestly could not imagine bottom fishing in a paddle yak. Always drifting around and have to put your rod down then paddle back. But really the biggest thing is paddling 4-7 miles out. I'm in the greatest shape of my life with a super strong back an there is no way in hell I could do that and back. Even going out there with the peddle yak my legs burn a little.
I hear that! It def makes it tougher but thats something that will affect the paddler not the group or partner they are with (assuming they know what they are doing and arent drifting into someone).

Now the 4-7 miles one way is the real issue! haha I can paddle my pirogue 5-6 miles loaded with hunting gear and dog but thats usually round trip. I def wouldnt want to venture more then, Im guessing, 6-7 miles round trip with a paddle yak. Havent really pushed myself with a yak yet tho.

Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it, learning more and more everyday.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts