Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to hit the beach soon. Whats the best conditions or forecast to look for when deciding to go offshore? Waves 1'-2 or less and wind strength and direction? I know less is better but curious as what you are looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
I look for wind less than 9 and waves less than 2. Wind direction doesnt matter as your gonna fight it one way or another. My best days have always been the roughest ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I noticed that a lot of the weather apps differ, sometimes wildly. Do you combine them all to get an accurate picture or do you have a particular source that you find to be more accurate?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I noticed that a lot of the weather apps differ, sometimes wildly. Do you combine them all to get an accurate picture or do you have a particular source that you find to be more accurate?
I use magic seaweed for my surf report - it also has weather and wind. Then I use a weather app (weather underground) for weather, and combine/average the wind/rain predictions.

·
Registered
421 Posts
All the below is for the gulf. For the bay I just look at wind speed/direction and tidal times, then make sure it wont be a thunderstom.

I use magic seaweed and windfinder for surf height, swell height/period, and wind speed. I also look at weather underground, and sometimes the NOAA reports. What I want is winds less than 10mph (I will go out sometimes if its up to 15mph a little bit but not if its predicted to be more than 10 mph throughout the day.). I want surf height less than 2 ft. I want swell height to be no more than 2-3 times the period, and less than 3 or 4 feet (4 feet is big swell and the period would have to be 10-12 seconds, which is rare. For a 2 foot swell I want at least a 4-6 second period). For small swells under 1.5 feet the period isnt as important.
Always bring an inshore rod so that if the gulf looks too rough you aren't tempted to risk it. Tell someone where you are going, when you will be back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts