Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if in the offshore catering industry that crew can actually get a good nights sleep like when they get back on land or not? i was thinking of applying to an offshore catering job but dont know if i will get a good nights sleep like in a nice dark and quiet bedroom???????? can anyone please tell me who has worked in the offshore catering industry? rsvp. thank you.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
not exactly what you are asking but I work on a tug boat and work six hours on and six hours off and no you do not get a good night's sleep that's the simple answer

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you get put on a boat the sleep isn't that great. Most of the company's that we had on the boats the cooks say the pay isn't that great and they charge you a fee to take you to the boat and pick you up i think it was a $100 each way. I am not sure about the sleep if you are put on a platform or rig.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so youve worked in offshore catering for the offshore drilling people before? this is what im talking about! so then its not possible to get a good night sleep then? rsvp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but im specifically talking about the people who work in offshore catering for offshore drilling personnel.......... are we talking about the same people/employees here? if i want to apply to work for offshore catering that service the offshore drilling employees then im not gonna get a good night sleep then? can you confirm this? rsvp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what do you mean a different job???????? i need to have a nice, dark, and quiet room to get a good night sleep, why would you say this?????? rsvp.

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,110 Posts
most people in offshore catering that cater to the offshore drilling people are excons??????? rsvp.
Trolling it seems...

Read between the lines man. You really think working on any commercial boat is going to grant you a wonderful nights sleep? Sure...

·
eating tasty
3,737 Posts
I slept great when I worked offshore diving and lived on boats. You work your butt off, then you're tired. You sleep. Even the bow thrusters 5 feet from my head rattling the sheets off my bed hardly woke me up.

If you have these concerns, you probably aren't cut out for this type of work. No one out there gives a crap if you get good sleep or not. It won't be like home. Sometimes it will be so rough that you wake up on the floor, the sea state rolled you out of your rack. All that said I loved the job, just not the best family job.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,864 Posts
I worked offshore on drilling rig for 3 years, not in catering but as a roustabout and floor hand, sleep wasn't an issue, my azz was so wore out that i could have slept standing up.

I also worked inland towboats as a tankerman for a few years, 6 hr shifts, again I had no problem sleeping.

I think I'd find something else to get into besides being a galley hand, yes it's a job, but there's plenty more to do with a lot more money involved in it, just got to be willing to bust your azz.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,864 Posts
what do you mean a different job???????? i need to have a nice, dark, and quiet room to get a good night sleep, why would you say this?????? rsvp.
Sounds like you need to search for a different career path, the 1st time someone offshore hears you say something like this, you will be immediately "labeled" and be the laughing stock onboard........good luck, you gonna need it.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Old Donald may be putting you on. Look at the number of posts Oh almost forgot why is this in the need a crew/ride section. Maybe it should be in the joke section

1 - 17 of 17 Posts