Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
woke up sunday morning to a great weather window report and decided to hit the gulf in search of some triggerfish and anything else that would bite. the weather man said less than 5 out of the north, but from about 7-930 AM it was prob 10-12 straight E, which made for a bumpy ride in a 22 foot bay boat when you're headed due SE. anyway, made bait and headed to our first stop about 830. caught a nice mangrove and some small AJ's and a few almaco. lots of small trigger too. wind started to lay down to nothing, so we decided to head further SE. picked up two nice trigger fish for the box at our next spot. by that time, seas had laid down to nothing, so we pushed out to the edge off of navarre in search of new bottom structure and maybe some weedlines. while looking for new bottom, we saw a tiny grass patch and saw life on it. when we rolled up to it, we saw a GIANT dolphin. i grabbed the first free line rod i could find and threw a live ruby at him. he immediately darted for it and took off. As soon as i hooked the fish, i realized i was fighting it on 20 lb flouro and a 4/0 circle hook i had rigged for chummed up mangroves.... not ideal. somehow, after 7 acrobatic jumps, we landed this beautiful fish that weighed in just over 20 lbs on the scale. a fish of a lifetime with some incredible luck involved! after a few high fives, we calmed down and got him on ice. not 30 seconds after putting the fish on ice, a giant wahoo (50 lbs easy) rolled up to the boat absolutely fired up black blue and purple.... in a panic, i threw out the same freeline with another ruby on. he blew up the bait immediately, sending it out of the water, but did not hook up somehow. no way i would have landed him either way with the tackle i was using. he stayed around the boat for about 10 minutes, but got spooked after his first missed strike. either way, it was a really cool experience. absolute pandemonium for about thirty minutes! on the way in we found another small patch of weeds with a buoy in the middle. stopped on it and caught a few small triple tail and some nice chicken dolphin. all in all, another beautiful day on the GOM with a story ill never forget!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
good read. i was right there with y'all. and that's a big ass mahi. it is fun to watchem do flips in the air.
jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts