Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Apex
1,457 Posts
It was a good run from my beginnings on Fish the Bridge and then on to PFF when Chris ran it and didn’t charge people for their off topic subjects. Oh and no adds. Off topic - hey where is the best place to get your lawnmower repaired and the best place to grab a burger while you’re waiting for it to get fixed? That’ll be $9.99 for that answer.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
It wasn't the mods. They really don't care that much and don't get paid to drive paid membership.
Was not blaming the mods, just curious if they were in communication with those who made the change. Can't we just post routine crap to the general discussion area now?

·
Bearded Brotula
12,951 Posts
Was not blaming the mods, just curious if they were in communication with those who made the change. Can't we just post routine crap to the general discussion area now?
That's what I'm gonna do.

·
Super Moderator
13,134 Posts
I don't care where y'all post it, I haven't deleted or "moderated" a post in years... I already have a full time job that actually pays me.

With social media evolving to what it is, the death of forums like this are inevitable. I understand some people don't do "Facebook" but they are very much in the minority. The only forums that will survive will be firearms related as they are not permitted on most social media platforms.

Social media (this forum included) was the beginning of the end for fishing and other outdoors sports. No longer is there such a thing as "secret spots" or "techniques", today all you have to do is read your local fishing forum where people freely give out information that took years for people to figure out. I've had people follow my boat from the ramp, and look for my truck on management areas. After about the 3rd time I was told during hunting season "I recognize your truck from PFF" I backed off what I post tremendously.

Us moderators have dang near zero communication with the "administrator" of this forum (don't really know who owns it. Don't know their name) and I know nothing about this 9.99 membership or all the advertising. Granted, I view the forum on a mobile device via Tapatalk, so I see no ads ever. I would imagine the membership is a way to create revenue due to lack of membership. Membership is down to a lack of content. It's ever revolving and the writing on the wall has been clear to me for years. Forums are a thing of the past. The last of the cobias if you will. I can't say that I like it or hate it, just that it is what it is. Sorry y'all. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
I’d just like to take a moment to brighten up everyone’s day, shed a little sunlight on it if you will. This seems to be a really sore subject but It will surely make y’all feel better to know this.

Im not leaving. I’ll be right here.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
11,112 Posts
I hear what you are saying but I didn't come to this forum for the info, I came here for the people. Sure I pick on people and may not agree but I like everyone here and that's why I come back day after day. I have been dealing with building computers, some web stuff back in the day and gaming sense the mid to early 90's. Chat back then was for the nutty crazy people, then forums came around, then more chat groups, then Myspace which was a joke. So by the time bookface and tweeber came around most of they guys I knew already looked at that as a joke which it turned out to be. I think people are going to tire of social media and go back to forums but yes I am in the minority on that thinking.

Forums are about the people not how the forum is layed out. I will be here to the end, I am here for the people.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
90% of the "off topic" conversation belongs in Politics or Religion anyways... someone obviously thought it best to lump them all together at the bottom... truth be told, I didn't know about the change until I saw this post, but I have zero problems with it. This is a fishing forum, not a Politics and Religion forum.

Sorry John B but I call BS on this. Being one of the first 50 members of this site when Soules site went down, I can tell you that there is a shit ton of us that would come here 90% of the time for the comradery and fellowship and the other 10% for the fishing/posting reports. I had a discussion this weekend with some of the other older members about this site and the number of the people that have left or quit posting because of new "admin rules" and it was staggering the names that came up. Lot's of us do have issues with it even though you don't and I find that very evident.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
it's good to know that i won't be texting back to myself when i post. i talk to myself enough, anyway. lol.
jack

Reactions: Corpsman

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Us moderators have dang near zero communication with the "administrator" of this forum (don't really know who owns it. Don't know their name) and I know nothing about this 9.99 membership or all the advertising.

I’m not one to repeat rumors but I heard John’s family tree grows straight up to Canada (whatever that has to do with anything) and the spreads out.

I also heard he was responsible for the closing of the GB bridge for so long and also the messed up red snapper season.

Y’all keep that to yourselves though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,134 Posts
Sorry John B but I call BS on this. Being one of the first 50 members of this site when Soules site went down, I can tell you that there is a shit ton of us that would come here 90% of the time for the comradery and fellowship and the other 10% for the fishing/posting reports. I had a discussion this weekend with some of the other older members about this site and the number of the people that have left or quit posting because of new "admin rules" and it was staggering the names that came up. Lot's of us do have issues with it even though you don't and I find that very evident.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying we as moderators have zero control over the rules or policies or whatever they want to implement. The forum is a business, and the last number I know of (when CC sold) the forum went for over 50k... some businesses get ran well, some get ran in to the ground. They're gonna run it how they want and unfortunately I don't see any of our input making a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I called Canada and spoke with someone in customer service this morning. The owner of the site is a company that owns many forum style pages like PFF on various topics. They buy them, then monetize them with adds and membership. I told her about our page, and that we had just a few real contributing members. I also told her about our recent spam problem, with single post users replying to years old threads and trying to rip people off with PMs in the buy sell section. She listened to everything I told her and asked a few questions. She let me know that they had recently migrated all forums to a new platform, and that it had brought growing pains. They are aware of the issues with spammers and said they are working on enhanced spam filters to weed out the bad-actors. She did not have an answer when exactly or why the off-topic, religion, and politics sections had been moved to a paid area. She said she has to have one of the people responsible for the back end operations look. She pulled up my username here, gave me my email address and told me she would research and let me know something. We were on the phone about 15 min. and she was very responsive and really seemed to get what I was telling her. She did not specify a timeline, and no guarantee that anything will change back, but it was worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
I called Canada and spoke with someone in customer service this morning. The owner of the site is a company that owns many forum style pages like PFF on various topics. They buy them, then monetize them with adds and membership. I told her about our page, and that we had just a few real contributing members. I also told her about our recent spam problem, with single post users replying to years old threads and trying to rip people off with PMs in the buy sell section. She listened to everything I told her and asked a few questions. She let me know that they had recently migrated all forums to a new platform, and that it had brought growing pains. They are aware of the issues with spammers and said they are working on enhanced spam filters to weed out the bad-actors. She did not have an answer when exactly or why the off-topic, religion, and politics sections had been moved to a paid area. She said she has to have one of the people responsible for the back end operations look. She pulled up my username here, gave me my email address and told me she would research and let me know something. We were on the phone about 15 min. and she was very responsive and really seemed to get what I was telling her. She did not specify a timeline, and no guarantee that anything will change back, but it was worth a shot.
Did she ask about me?
Did she tell you to have me call her or anything?

·
Registered
511 Posts
With 436k threads started in ”Off Topic”(the most out of the entire site). Why else do you think the owners of this site want members to pay $20 bucks to start a thread there? Wonder if someone could start a thread in “General Discussion “ and a mod could move it to “Off Topic”?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Here is what I just received. Can someone without a premium membership check? Try to log out and log back in to see if that works. If it doesn't work, let me know what you run into, and I will write her back.

Hi Jody,

Thank you for reaching out. We spoke earlier this week,

The administrator confirmed that you do not need to pay to access or post in the "off topic lounge". They just said to make sure you are logged in.

Also, they are also going to take a look at the spam on the site.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

Best Regards,

Marie
Customer Experience & Administrative Support
Tel: (888) 216-8242

61 - 80 of 108 Posts