Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>This past weekend hunting in Alabama a hunting buddy of mine had a very exciting hunt that involved some very odd behavior from a doe. It all starts whenhe sees a nice buck walking along a trail going towards a shooting lane where he was ready to make the shot. When the buck enters the shooting lane it stops and looks his way, boom his 30-06 drops the buck in it's tracks. Since this was last hunting trip of the season he was pumped to get his first deer for the season. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>This is where it gets interesting. He didn't climb out of the stand right away, he could see the buck and knew it was dead not 40 yards away from his stand. Before he has a chance to settle down out pops a doe running down this same trail and she proceeds to run up to the dead buck and then rears up on her hind legs and starts stomping the buck with her front legs. My buddy is watching in amazement, all he can think is this doe is messing up the buck he just shot so he lines her up in the scope and boom drops her on top of the buck he just shot! <o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>So to all you deer experts out there the question is what caused that doe to run up to the dead buck and start stomping on it with her front legs? None of us 5 seasoned hunters at camp have ever seen or even heard of behavior like this.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>
<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
823 Posts
RAPE! That buck just got done violating that old girl... If she could talk with every stomp your buddy would of heard " I said NO!, N.O. means NO you sick bastard!" good for your buddy for killing him....we don't need that kind of buck roaming the woods of Alabama! :letsdrink

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
JCW (2/1/2010)RAPE! That buck just got done violating that old girl... If she could talk with every stomp your buddy would of heard " I said NO!, N.O. means NO you sick bastard!" good for your buddy for killing him....we don't need that kind of buck roaming the woods of Alabama! :letsdrink
i was thinking the same thing! haha...

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
ive seen this before with deer. does kicking dead bucks, bucks goring dead does. i dont know exactly what it is. maybe they are freaked out cause they sense something is wrong. possibly its mature deer showing dominance over other mature deer even if its different sexes. its weird though for sure. i think i may be agreeing with whoever said rape..

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
It is a nature thing; Survival of the fittest, or weeding out of the substandards. You will see it in all species of animals. When there is a wounded or lame animal, any others in the vicinity will try to kill the wounded one. You can especially see it in ducks, turkeys, and any other birds.

Or, the buck could have been tailing the doe, (who was in heat), and then stopped. Pissed the ole girl off, as that sometimes happens when a man looses interest, and she just decided to get his attention again. But, what do I know?

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
Not sure how this might play into what the does was doing but one time when I was hunting the rut I watched a does tracking something like a blood hound. She entered a series of fields approximately 400 yards away and I watched her with her nose to the ground cutting in and out until she came right under me and disappeared into the woods. I had been there about two hours and what ever she was tracking came by me before I got in the stand.

Someone told me an old doe who can no longer get pregnant will harass the bucks and younger does.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have seen this also. I had a 4 point come to a Buck I had shot about 30 min. before last year. He walked around him for about 15 min. and finallt aproached him from behind, hooked him in the rear and trotted off into the woods. I had watched him whip the 4 point and a good 6 the evening before, maybe it was payback! Two Doe's came to him a little while later and stomped at him for about 10 min. I have it all on video...somewhere!

·
Super Moderator
28,504 Posts
Some great replies but NO ONE.....I repeat NO ONE asked to see the :takephoto Come on brother :takephoto:takephoto:takephoto

Purty funny sight I bet to see though....:letsdrink

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jason (2/2/2010)Some great replies but NO ONE.....I repeat NO ONE asked to see the :takephoto Come on brother :takephoto:takephoto:takephoto

Purty funny sight I bet to see though....:letsdrink
No picture of the actual doe attack but here he is on the 4-wheeler after recovering them, the smile says it all! I told him he should have walked over to my stand 200 yards away and got my camera so he could get a picture of the doe stacked on top of the buck but he didn't want to mess up my hunt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts