Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New life starting for me on the 25th. The smokes are gone. I'm having a few last days of cheap nasty pleasure before its done. Several times I've found myself being the only smoker in a crowd. Im sure i stink of it around non smokers My kids deserve it most. I hide my smoking from them but I won't be able to hide my sickness one day if I don't hang it up. I will treat myself to $5 a day putting it in a jar and saving it for some cool toys or whatever. Ha. Prayers will prob be needed for a few days I'm sure. 39yrs old and I wanna start my 40's out clean. Anyone want in on this? I've heard within the first few days I'll be able to smell my neighbors 3 doors down drying cloths and garlic bread never tasted so good. I'll probably end up a lardo but I'll be able to run to the buffet with good lungs.

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
Man throw them things down now!!! It's all just a mind game that you play with yourself. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor,..Quit playing the game.

People make addiction a bigger deal than it has to be. There are some things you can't quit, Like breathing. Smoking is not one of them.

And your right, They stink!! I just as soon have someone standing beside me playing in a bag of shit. Bout the same thing.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Quit now. You will be doing well for your kids and loved ones. It's not easy.

Helped me to get away from folks who smoked for a while.

Edit: What I mean by quitting now is that setting a "date" makes it easy to keep doing the same thing. Nicotine withdrawal is painful. I hope that it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
i said i was gonna quit smoking. i will still have my bag of shit to play in. sorry bud.

Oh well,...1 out of 2 ain't bad.:thumbup:

You can do it. More and more people are doing it every day. If I sound kinda harsh on the subject it is because I am watching my mother slowly kill herself everyday by smoking. Even after beating lung cancer 4 years ago, She started back. No excuse for it what so ever!!

Everyone that smokes, quits. The only choice to make is do you want to quit and be above ground or do you want to quit and be below ground??

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
best advice i heard from an old man once was. if you want to quit you will quit and never look back, but if your hesitant on quitting you will have another pack in your hand in a week

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
I quit 5 years ago when my daughter was born. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done for about 2 weeks. Stay away from others who will enable you and just keep telling yourself that you don't need that cigarette because your addiction will have you wanting to go to the store every 5 minutes literally.

There is something to quitting right now. Just take your cigs that you have now and man up and smash them and throw them in the trash. It will make a statement to yourself that you are done once and for all!!!

I know it's tough and you want your last few days but that is my advice from experience. Good luck man, if you can make it 3 weeks then you can beat this!!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER when you do quit. Also it helps to start excersising and helps with the cravings. Drinking lots of water will help you detox off the nicotine quicker. I would try no nicotine replacment just go cold turkey, it takes about 3-4 days for the nicotine to get out of your system. The first 3 days are the hardest and after that its bjust breaking the habbit. Typically the cravings last less than a minute so do some air squats or push ups till it passes. Good Luck and you will feel a million times better once you have stopped.

·
Registered
247 Posts
smoking

It takes 21 days for something to become a habit. I am smoke free for about 7 years now and my goal was to make it 21 days without one...then it became a habit to not smoke...set your goal for 21 days and best of luck to you. I will also tell you i took the chantix program and it worked for me but i really wanted to quit.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the words. My wife had me one I those blu cig things Friday. It does ok. I've noticed a few guys on my job site that have those you wear around your neck. Kinda funny. I'll go cold turkey and keep the one Val got me and let it ride. And, yes bow season opens Friday here in Baldwin county. Thanks again guys. I'll probably stop drinking as well to let the nic out of my system. I bet that's tough having a beer and not a smoke.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
My daughter was 5, my son was 3 and cigs were $3.50 a carton. Cold turkey like Orion. I didn't do it for me, I done it for my kids and wife. The best part was, I got most of the benifits. Hardest part was when me and the boys played poker and were having a few beers, but nobody smoked! Been there--done that, and YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Thanks for all the words. My wife had me one I those blu cig things Friday. It does ok. I've noticed a few guys on my job site that have those you wear around your neck. Kinda funny. I'll go cold turkey and keep the one Val got me and let it ride. And, yes bow season opens Friday here in Baldwin county. Thanks again guys. I'll probably stop drinking as well to let the nic out of my system. I bet that's tough having a beer and not a smoke.
JMHO, but...nicotine is not harmful, it's the tar and all of that. So, a nicotine inhaler won't hurt you, BUT you are still keeping the addiction. Next time you are out with pals or want a dip or something like that you will do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts