Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novice fisherman at best. Been reading this forum and amazed at the info here so decided to register.

Will be staying on Ono Island at my cousins place. He has a kayak, but I have no experience fishing from a kayak.

Where should I start? On pier there or in kayak? Or maybe Gulf State Park?

Any other suggestions or bait ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You should start by kayaking without any fishing gear to get used to the movement and the feel of it. Then next time bring a couple of rods and cast or troll or drift. Finally you will be able to load the kayak with a cooler and whatever gear you need, then just go catch some fish. Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
North side or south side of Ono?
East or West end?

Makes a difference, I fish there often.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
St John is the street. You turn right after Ono bridge go about a mile or less and it's the first street you you can turn off main road. It's on the north side of island. Backs up to bay.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
OK, best fishing is usually betwixt the South side of the island and the beach road. Our place is near Rabbit Island, which has no-wake (supposedly) and no motor (supposedly) zones around the grass flats. Top water early and late will produce trout and redfish. The grass gets bad if the boats are churning though, so a streamlined sinko-type lure may work best. On the North side, jigs around the deep docks and rock jettys should get some reds, trout and flounder. Toss topwaters early and late between those docks for some gator trout!

Nighttime around the dock lights is the best right now. Make sure you have a white lite on your yak. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts