Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that snapper season is over, whats your target?

Well now what?

I think Im addicted to fishing the Gulf, inshore from the yak just doesnt do it for me, though I would like to figure out how to get flounder.

I guess for now Id like to try and get on a tarpon. Grouper and trigger would be nice but its hard fighting through the snapper.

Dolphin are too unpredictable, well the water is too unpredictable. If the water cleans up like it was before Debbie and all the rain I suppose we can see them close in in good numbers again.

Mackerel, meh, not worth taking five showers just to get all of the scales out of my leg hair plus the smokers are few and far in between this time of year.

The plus side of snapper season is that I fished so much I lost over ten pounds, would hate to gain it back.

So what are yall going to do?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Mackerel, meh, not worth taking five showers just to get all of the scales out of my leg hair plus the smokers are few and far in between this time of year.

WHAT? This is the time of year that I catch them... And never have scaled one. Steak it and cut the circle of skin off... or dont... I never have... :no:

And I dont know what you guys are talking about "fighting through the snapper".. I finally caught my first one in three years last week. I used to catch them by the dozens...

As for "What am I going to do?" the same as always. Catch what's bitin' :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHAT? This is the time of year that I catch them... And never have scaled one. Steak it and cut the circle of skin off... or dont... I never have... :no:

And I dont know what you guys are talking about "fighting through the snapper".. I finally caught my first one in three years last week. I used to catch them by the dozens...

As for "What am I going to do?" the same as always. Catch what's bitin' :thumbup:
Spring and fall usually yields larger kings consistently then in the middle of the summer when you get alot of little schoolies and snakes. I dont eat king, I have a freezer full of snapper, mahi and even some pompano still and I cant bring my self to eat a king with all those good fish available.

Not sure where you were fishing for snapper but at times it can be hard NOT to catch one though the last few days for me were slow.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
How far you guys paddlin out to get to snapper and grouper?
Farthest I've been out is about 2 miles.
I use my yaks more for redfish and trout in Biloxi Bay.

About two or three years ago, I wanted to take my yak along on a boat going 9 or 10 miles out. My friends freaked out and wouldn't let me. They held an intervention... for Real. Is it bad when your friends hold a kayak fishing intervention for you? :)

As for the Kings, I catch my biggest ones in July.
I eat a few of them. We steak them out, pop the "balls" out and boil them in seasoning. Then chip the meat up and use it in place of tuna in tuna salad. Other than that, I dont really care for it. My friend loves it though.
We also eat it when we arent catching anyting else. There are three things we are sure to catch... Kings, Hardheads and Ruby Reds.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My friend broils king all the time and it's always great. Just don't eat the dark meat. Cut it out before you cook and it's even better.

I used to eat turnip greens as a kid. I got to school and other kids gave me a complex about them. I love them now, but there was a long period of time I didn't even think to touch them. I still think of kings as not the best fish to eat because I've always heard that, but when my friend cooks it (broiled, fairly light seasoning), I clean my plate.

I taste the same (similar?) taste I assume people complain about with kings when I'm eating mingo and red snapper broiled.

People don't like AJ, but as long as you cut out the blood line, AJ is excellent table fare. My stepsister used to be one of the pickiest eaters on the planet, but I honestly believe she thinks AJ is the best eating fish swimming in the ocean after I grilled some for her. I've been trying to explain to her husband that I can put them on some better stuff, but they'd clean me out of AJ if I let them.

If you fry all your fish, don't steak out kings. Filet them and cut out ALL of the dark meat. I'm sure it would be fine, but I grill or broil almost every fish I catch. Frying is saved for cheeks, throats, and anything that sits in the freezer too long. I have been pan frying some stuff picatta style... mostly mingo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm with you JD 7.62, I cringe when thinking of going inshore. My buddies just laugh when I mention it. I'm addicted to offshore fishing for sure. I'm looking at targeting anything that will make me say Oh Sh** what do I have hooked. I got surprised last night with my first gag. Hope to see you out there soon, since we both live in Navarre. I think I lost about 5 lb this snapper season. I was going straight from work until dark and not eating dinner. Good weight loss plan I must say.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Time to get myself an inshore tarpon! I'm tired of specs and reds and when I go offshore I either get skunked or catch a bunch of ramora, hardtail, and ladyfish. I'd love to go offshore and have a decent trip but don't have the know how or anyone to help show me the ropes.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If youre catching remora youre trolling too slow. I rarely catch remora on the troll but if I do its because Ive stopped to take a break or slow down for what ever reason. Sometimes remora will attach to the under side of your yak and when you set your line/s they will grab it then. In those instances you have to cast your line back and get going before they get to it.

If youre catching ladyfish and hardtails you are probably too close to shore. For me, thirty feet deep and out gets the most fish, though I will get the occasional king and several spanish closer in.

You are really doing something wrong if you cant catch a king in the morning or evening, in the middle of the day the bite can be slow unless its cloudy and there is a good wind chop. If you find yourself out there in the middle of the day in calm conditions troll until you find a tide line or weed line and run that.

Keep an eye on your bottom machine, even though snapper are closed, trolling around even the smallest of structure will result in mackerel and or bonita.

I prefer blue/chrome and pink weighted boone dusters for kings. I tie a rig with forty pound seven strand, two size four trebles and a two ought live bait hook. All of my dolphin have come off none weighted pink/pearl dusters with the same rig. Ive trolled the weighted and non weighted the same time and nine out of ten kings hit the weighted duster while ALL of my dolphin have came off of the non weighted duster. I dont even troll the weighted one any more as to me kings are more of a hassle and not worth the catch unless its just dead slow out there.

Hope that helps and good luck out there.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well now what?

I think Im addicted to fishing the Gulf, inshore from the yak just doesnt do it for me, though I would like to figure out how to get flounder.

I guess for now Id like to try and get on a tarpon. Grouper and trigger would be nice but its hard fighting through the snapper.

Dolphin are too unpredictable, well the water is too unpredictable. If the water cleans up like it was before Debbie and all the rain I suppose we can see them close in in good numbers again.

The plus side of snapper season is that I fished so much I lost over ten pounds, would hate to gain it back.

No kings here other than a tug now and then. Gruuuupa' is the fish! Red, Gag and Scamps. If you pay attention to exactly where you catch each species and what you catch them on, you'll see patterns after a while. I like AJ's too. I'm convinced that many folks do not get all the red meat off some of these fish because they seem fine to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts