Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so few nice weather days to fish in the winter, we saw this one coming and took advantage of the beautiful forecast. To say our boat was loaded down would be an understatement. There was 7 of us on board (we usually don't take that many on fun trips), all of us being very grown men so needless to say, we were sitting low in the water before we left the dock. Our crew consisted of myself, my dad, my uncle Mike, Tony davis, Eugine Riley, PJ Mcleod (Renegade) and Al Jackson. We left the dock around 5:30 and were greeted by calmseas and a gorgeous sunrise on the way out. Our first stop was in 100' to make some bait and catch a few amberjacks. The jacks had left the first spot but we manageda 28" gag to break the ice in the box. We headed offshore toanother amberjack spot and got our limit in no time as they were practically jumping in the boat. From there, we ventured out into deeper water and began hitting spots and looking around. The fish bit well and we seemed to pick up a few on several different places. Our main target was snowys but we had barrelfish, grey tiles and rosies to add as a bonus. Our finaltally was:

-1 gag, 2 small yellowedges, 25 snowys, 3 barrelfish, 7 amberjack, 8 grey tiles and 2 rosies

We didn't have any monsters, but had a pretty good grade of grouper and ended up with a ton of fillets. The winter doesn't give us many days to fish, but we were blessed on this trip as mother nature cooperated along with the fish. We arrived back at Day Break Marina about 6:30 with full bellies (we ate well), sore backs and more memories made.

Al with the largest jack of the day, somewhere around 40 lbs.

PJ with a nice barrelfish

Proud Eugine with a snowy

Tony holding his snowy, already licking his lips thinking about cooking it tomorrow night

Me and my dad this morning before we started cleaning

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds like a great time on the water with family and friends. Great pics and stringer for sure. Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Thats not fishin that is catchin.

·
Registered
128 Posts
man that pj dude is ugly. it was nice of yall to let him hold a fish though. seriously if you guys every want to go on a first class charter and catch fish give jake a call he knows his stuff. and tell tony that is a good look for him too

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mark, Jake and CREW That's a nice full box of a good catch. I heard you calling us once but we were heading to the NE at that time and could not reach you after that. Who was the UNLUCKY one that got to fight the barrelfish? I think that fish should have been named the devilfish. That's one fish that will out fight the biggest of AJ,s which I see you have a limit of some very nice size one,s also. I am a little surprize that there is no yellow in the catch. We have not caught one ourseves in a couple of weeks. See youout there next time we hope. Looks like next tuesday maybe our best day to get back out. Again Nice catch. Gene

·
Registered
330 Posts
Great trip Jake, looks like yallstayed in fish all day long.You guys must have some sore backs with all of those big jacks. Thanks for the report and pictures.

Team Recess

Rob

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
NaClH2O (1/15/2010)Great trip Jake, looks like yallstayed in fish all day long.You guys must have some sore backs with all of those big jacks. Thanks for the report and pictures.

Team Recess Rob
No kidding!!! That fishbox makes my back sore!!!! I wish my back was sore!!! :clap

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Sea That (1/15/2010)Nice fish. How deep of water do you have to be in to catch snowys?
I hope i'm not taking the question from jake , but snowys are from 380foot to 1000 but have heard of a few caught ina little deeper but not oftenanything deeper the groupers change to mystics but are more mushy and not as good to eat.

TIM

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
great job guys!!:clap thats a lot of cleaning right there but well worth it. thats a good start to the new year. see ya out there.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the nice comments guys, it is always fun to enjoy a great tripwith friends and family!

Pinksnappercatcher (1/15/2010)Good Job Jake. Hey do you ever see or hear from Frank?
-Frank was actually down at the marina the other day checking on his boat. That was the first time I've seen him in a while, I think he has just been working a ton. Hopefully we'll see more of him once the cobia get here.

aerialjc (1/15/2010)I like the "hold the fish further out" trick. Haha, just kidding. Great catch!
-My crew have become experts on trick photography and making the captain look better :)

PURPLE HAZE (1/15/2010)Mark, Jake and CREW That's a nice full box of a good catch. I heard you calling us once but we were heading to the NE at that time and could not reach you after that. Who was the UNLUCKY one that got to fight the barrelfish? I think that fish should have been named the devilfish. That's one fish that will out fight the biggest of AJ,s which I see you have a limit of some very nice size one,s also. I am a little surprize that there is no yellow in the catch. We have not caught one ourseves in a couple of weeks. See youout there next time we hope. Looks like next tuesday maybe our best day to get back out. Again Nice catch. Gene
-We had 2 small yellowedges but there was not much to them, I'd love to get into someof those big ones. They seem to be much more abundant on mud bottom and we have primarily been fishing for snowys on rocks and ledges. You guys had a great day as well, good luck onnext Tuesday if you get to go out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts