Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I headed down to Palafox pier Friday with some live shrimp. Got there around 6 and stayed till 830 or 9. All was quiet just a couple of ribbon fish and one nice hook up that got cut off. No clue what it was. Then we headed out to the beach just to see what was going on. The pier was very quiet, they said they caught some pomps earlier in the day. They were hitting nothng but jigs. On the way off the island we stopped at the Bob Sikes for a look, nothing but a few white trout and ALOT of mullet. There were a couple of guys throwing cast nets and one throw took three guys to get it up on the bridge.

We decided to go back to the beach pier Sat morning. Got there about 8 with some live shrimp and the pomp jigs ready. Hurricane force winds were trying to blow us off the pier. Fished around the sand bars with shrimp on the bottom and worked the jigs for a few minutes and nothing. Didn't even lose the shrimp. We moved down closer to the end, put the shrimp back on the bottom and started working the gotchas. Nothing. Some guys were fishing directly off the end of the pier with the wind at their back with gotchas and caught a fewbonita and one spanish. A very large school of lady fish came through so we had fun for a few minutes on the light tackle. Decided to head to the house and catch some footbal and a quick nap.

We headed back out around 430. We went to a friends condo on the ICW in Perdido and fished off the end of the dock. The white trout were everywhere. We fished for 3 or 4 hours and caught10 billion white trout and 2 barricudas and 1 blue fish. It is weird I have never heard aboutbarricudas in the bay until I came to the forum and then we go out this weekend and catch 2. The white trout were hitting everything from shrimp to cut bait to plastics and even the gotcha. I could have thrownone of our empty beer cans out and they would have hit it. There was not much action under the lights off the end of the dock. White trout are not my favs to catch but we still had fun. Light tackle action is always fun.We had a guy with us from England and he had never fished before so he was having a blast. He hooked up with a trout and was reeling it in and all of a sudden the fish stopped fighting, he thought it got off until he pulled in just a head. Something hit it while he was reeling it in, probably a king. We didn't keep any fish and did not have a camera with us so no pics sorry. When ever I take a camera with me I NEVER catch anything.

Hopefully the wind dies down soon because this weather is absolutley beautiful!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Man i was actually trying to catch a white trout on sunday to use for king bait and couldn't buy one out on palafox.........no wonder, you had them all...haha. Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Good report, sounds like you had a busy weekend. You spoiled your buddy from England. After puttinghim on a hot white trout bite he will be bored not catching fish every cast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts