Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hunted the same private property for the last 10 plus years and I can almost set my watch/calendar for the rut to start up around the last week of January.

Either it never arrived,it was so short, or I just plain missed it this year.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Outside 9---I hunted my favorite(Blackwater WMA) area for deerthis year for the 31st consecutive year. Did not see much chasing ....during the general gun season which ended last wednesday..2/04.. mainly small bucks whichI no longershoot. This morning driving to work(FWC fish hatchery )I saw 2 bucks chasing a doe and her yearling as I came into the Blackwater River State Park on Deaton Bridge Rd.The larger buck had 4pts. on his right beam w/o a brow tine and his left beam was broke off just past the brow tine, wear the beam curves .His spread was about 15-16 inches. The smaller buck was a forkhorn with antlers just inside his ears. Continuing on to work on BoB Pitt's Rd at Joe Brunners Hunting Preserve I observed a doe running inside the pasture fence parallel to the road and a small 6 pt buck was chasing her inside planted pinepasture. I 've observed rutting activity especially on Blackwater occuring after the general gun season ends.The past 2 years in late Jan. I manage to kill 4 bucks chasing does. This year was a bust....other than 3 small ones ..spikes,cowhorn and a 3pt.I did not see any large bucks from my tree stand. Hang in there and maybe this weekend and up to Wednesday you may have some success,especially after all this cold ,icy weather.

·
Super Moderator
28,510 Posts
I sat yesterday morning and saw 10 slick tops, sat in a different spot yesterday evening and saw 9 (8 slick and 1 button which was chasing).I sat this morning and saw 10 again (prolly same as yesterday/same spot) and then took Logan to my Honey Hole this afternoon and saw 3 slicks. Due to the rain, I will be sitting in my Honey Hole again tomorrow in a cozy shooting house!

Cool thing happened at the hunt this AM: I saw a nannie walking up and she had a scar at her kill zone.I looked through the scope and noticed the scar was jagged and realized this was the deer that Logan shot with his bow this year and never found blood or arrow. I guess the arrow just punctured the skin and eventually ripped out leaving her a nice scar. Maybe next season we'll find her again:shedevil:letsdrink

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
anyone else hopeful this cold front will get 'em kicked in just in time for late primitive season? new moon this weekend... i'm hoping to put my paw-in-law on a biggun come saturday a.m.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
flounder1156 (2/11/2010)Outside 9---I hunted my favorite(Blackwater WMA) area for deerthis year for the 31st consecutive year. Did not see much chasing ....during the general gun season which ended last wednesday..2/04.. mainly small bucks whichI no longershoot. This morning driving to work(FWC fish hatchery )I saw 2 bucks chasing a doe and her yearling as I came into the Blackwater River State Park on Deaton Bridge Rd.The larger buck had 4pts. on his right beam w/o a brow tine and his left beam was broke off just past the brow tine, wear the beam curves .His spread was about 15-16 inches. The smaller buck was a forkhorn with antlers just inside his ears. Continuing on to work on BoB Pitt's Rd at Joe Brunners Hunting Preserve I observed a doe running inside the pasture fence parallel to the road and a small 6 pt buck was chasing her inside planted pinepasture. I 've observed rutting activity especially on Blackwater occuring after the general gun season ends.The past 2 years in late Jan. I manage to kill 4 bucks chasing does. This year was a bust....other than 3 small ones ..spikes,cowhorn and a 3pt.I did not see any large bucks from my tree stand. Hang in there and maybe this weekend and up to Wednesday you may have some success,especially after all this cold ,icy weather.

I agree. I work up in Munson and driving some areas up here in BRSF, there has been a small increase in the daily deer activity.

Where I hunt in Milton, you can barely tell they know what a rut is. Should be good this weekend and into the close of primitive weapons Feb. 28.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts