Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here like to blast any birds? My scouting hasn't been very successful around here. Are there any puddle ducks to be found in the panhandle? I've found a few wood duck holes but nothing other than that or diver hunting. This is my second season here and I'm getting a little frustrated. Divers aren't as much fun as puddlers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
I love shooting but been out of it for 2 seasons. Never tried down here, mostly Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas but I'ld be willing to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Were are you in the panhandle? You can find them but there is a bit of work. There are some good area on the north end of some of the rivers. If you won't to see puddle duck in better numbers really need to make the drive to Mobile AL. Just keep in mind it gets bone dry over there in the winter a lot.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Been out of it since I moved to Calera, Al 10 years ago. Just not like the Mississippi Delta:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm gonna try out in the sound between navarre and pcola beach this year. I used to do alot of puddle jumping when i lived in wisconsin but i havent duck hunted since then but I know theres quite a bit of birds out there and even seen a few geese out there and they opened them up this year statewide.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sound is pretty goodif you like diver hunting. There's a bunch of birds there late in theseason. I cut my waterfowl teeth in western TN/KYand I really prefer puddle duck hunting. There's nothing like talking'em into the spread all locked up, coming into the spread then blasting them at close range. The only thing that comes close here is the wood ducks and that's still a little different. You won't find a woodie without scouting and finding the holes that they want to go to. You're hunting a dead hole if there's no acorns around.

I'd go to Alabama if the non-resident license wasn't so damn steep.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
AL small game is only arund $70. If your willing you can spend the time on some of the rivers and find puddlers. We hunted a few holes we found around 400 yards off the river and there were teal,mallards,and a few widgon. But it is late in the season when you find them or when we get a real good cold front.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I wasn't talking about the rivers in AL. I'm in the Pensacola area... But I do hunt AL and if your not seeing any bird you must be in the wrong place....

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
i was kidding, i cant wait for opening day to go bust some ducks. this is the first year that i have scouted hard and i have found me a few good holes with a bunch of ducks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Al non resident is 90 bucks plus 6 for state and 15 for stamp. Then you have to know where your going and where the ducks are. Took quite a while to really figure out how to hunt em there!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
K. so it went up.... The ducks on the delta are not hard to find just sometimes hard to hunt do to no water. But that is the best chance for consistant puddle duck for around here... we kill a few in flordia but a lot more over there....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Blue Hoo... Have sent you a pm weeks ago about bringing a couple young hunters up... will def. be touching base in Dec. as you had said....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like to break a few beaks from time to time! I'm active duty & don't have anyone to hunt with down here! Anyone interested shoot me a pm. I'm a die hard & like to get-r-done!

BTW: I think divers can be just as fun as pudlers if you're setup right & the shooting's good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where you stationed cast-n-blast? I'm at Hurlburt Field. We have a group of 4-5 that hunt together on a regular basis.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts