Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you folks slow down to NO WAKE in an area that is posted by private signs.......... not official signs? Such as by the Wharf in Orange Beach? This is not an "official state zone". Do you look out from boats entering the IC and keep reasonable speed or NO

WAKE? Opinions please.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
If its not put up by the state NO. Its the same princible of someone putting up a 15mph sign in a neighborhood that the real speed limit is 30mph. But not saying I wouldnt slow down if someone had their boat tied off to a dock loading it or unloading it or something like that.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
let me get this right then, if the state ( mississippi ) does not put it up then it is not illegal to run through it. the reason i ask is because on the escatawpa river, there is a group of house boats the have put signs up on the river no wake zone in big bright orange painted pieces of plywood. i know he put them up because i saw him painting them. is it illegal for me to run through it. it aggravates me because there is never anyone there during the week.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
countryjwh (4/12/2010)let me get this right then, if the state ( mississippi ) does not put it up then it is not illegal to run through it. the reason i ask is because on the escatawpa river, there is a group of house boats the have put signs up on the river no wake zone in big bright orange painted pieces of plywood. i know he put them up because i saw him painting them. is it illegal for me to run through it. it aggravates me because there is never anyone there during the week.
In Florida you are not required to slow down unless the sign was put up by the State, the law might be different in Mississippi but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Splittine (4/12/2010)
countryjwh (4/12/2010)let me get this right then, if the state ( mississippi ) does not put it up then it is not illegal to run through it. the reason i ask is because on the escatawpa river, there is a group of house boats the have put signs up on the river no wake zone in big bright orange painted pieces of plywood. i know he put them up because i saw him painting them. is it illegal for me to run through it. it aggravates me because there is never anyone there during the week.
In Florida you are not required to slow down unless the sign was put up by the State, the law might be different in Mississippi but I doubt it.
i will do some looking. i did not think it was but was not 100%. thanks

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
please don't get me started!:doh:baby...anyone in their right mind driving a vessel, would have the mind to obey and observe the most simple boating ettiquette of "slow your ass down" when their are docked boats, small boats, kayaks, swimmers, etc...no one can be in that big a hurry and if you are, i hope the fire is out when you reach your destination...

mike...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I do slow down to no wake speed at the wharf. Partially due to Coast Guard station there, but mostly courtesy for the other boats in the area (fishing boats). However I do not reduce speed at the west end of the ICW before it opens into Mobile Bay. The boats at those condos are well protected from wakes. If someone tells me different I will start slowing down there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I slow down just as a would if posted by a person in their neighborhood, to be nice...

But if i was in a rush and had somewhere to go quick? oh well

·
Banned
257 Posts
Remember - it doesnt make ANY difference whether there are signs or not, or who put them up or even where you are, YOU ARE totally responsible for your wake under maritime law and are subject to law suit for any damage that your wake causes. Ask the boaters in south FL who have been to court and paid for damage to moored boats in canals, waterways, inland waters, etc., with or without signs of any kind posted.

It is not a question of whether or not signs are posted or who posted them, it is a question of YOU having enough common sense to evaluate your wake and its potential to cause damage in the immediate surrounding area to where you are currently underway.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
JohnHYoung (4/13/2010)Remember - it doesnt make ANY difference whether there are signs or not, or who put them up or even where you are, YOU ARE totally responsible for your wake under maritime law and are subject to law suit for any damage that your wake causes. Ask the boaters in south FL who have been to court and paid for damage to moored boats in canals, waterways, inland waters, etc., with or without signs of any kind posted.

It is not a question of whether or not signs are posted or who posted them, it is a question of YOU having enough common sense to evaluate your wake and its potential to cause damage in the immediate surrounding area to where you are currently underway.
You hit this one right on the head John. I couldn't agree with you more. :clap

COMMON SENSE BOATING! Let's all practice it and be courteous and safe on the water.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
FishinFool (4/13/2010)
JohnHYoung (4/13/2010)Remember - it doesnt make ANY difference whether there are signs or not, or who put them up or even where you are, YOU ARE totally responsible for your wake under maritime law and are subject to law suit for any damage that your wake causes. Ask the boaters in south FL who have been to court and paid for damage to moored boats in canals, waterways, inland waters, etc., with or without signs of any kind posted.

You hit this one right on the head John. I couldn't agree with you more. :clap

COMMON SENSE BOATING! Let's all practice it and be courteous and safe on the water.

A big +2

·
Praedator
9,926 Posts
WouldI slow down if I am running next to a marina or docked boats, YEP. Would I slow down for the guy who does not like boat going past his dock at speed and puts out his own sign to try and slow the boats down, NOPE. It's all realative to my surroundings.

For example, for the longest time the entrance to Bayou Grande was not marked with official state "No Wake" signs. But anyone in their right mind would not go blasting through there with the blind corner that the jetties created and the small channel there. And then at some point they finally put out official signs there. I almost got into several accidents at that location because of boat speeding through there and coming around the corner on plane.:banghead

·
Registered
574 Posts
The entrance to Bayou Grande used to have the no wake sign prior to Ivan taking it out. It took a long time for the sign to be replaced. I thinkwith the absence of the sign many idiots thought they clould fly through there. There's way too much traffic and it's too narrow for boats to be on plane there. I've exchanged words with severalover that.

I agree -you are responsible for your own wake. Everyone cares as much about their safety, and their boat as (hopefully)you do yours. Let'sthink and be courteous out there.

·
Praedator
9,926 Posts
Seachaser 186 (4/13/2010)The entrance to Bayou Grande used to have the no wake sign prior to Ivan taking it out. It took a long time for the sign to be replaced. I thinkwith the absence of the sign many idiots thought they clould fly through there. There's way too much traffic and it's too narrow for boats to be on plane there. I've exchanged words with severalover that.

I agree -you are responsible for your own wake. Everyone cares as much about their safety, and their boat as (hopefully)you do yours. Let'sthink and be courteous out there.
Those signs that were there before Ivan were not "Official" state approved no wake signs. They wereroundwith black and red lettering. Therefore some choose to speed through there. Even now the sign as you come into the bayou is a little too far inside the channel. People speed right up to the sign as they are coming in that narrow channel even if you are right next to them at idle speed.:banghead

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm on our depts. boat team and we recently had some training with the FWC guys. It was pretty interesting because one of the things they showed us was that on "official" no wake signs there will be a permit number on the bottom of the sign. They told us that if a no wake sign doesn't have a permit, then it was placed unlawfully by someone other than a state or locally entity. They can apparently even see to the removal of the sign. That being said, I agree with everyone above about using common sense and courtesy while boating. I just wish more folks would do it.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Seachaser 186 (4/13/2010)The entrance to Bayou Grande used to have the no wake sign prior to Ivan taking it out. It took a long time for the sign to be replaced. I thinkwith the absence of the sign many idiots thought they clould fly through there. There's way too much traffic and it's too narrow for boats to be on plane there. I've exchanged words with severalover that.

No sir the no wake signs on the bayou were never legit...they were put up by the sailboat people on the base for years...i was born and raised on the bayou and been out that thousands of times...i would slow down when i got to the rocks then if nobody was coming i would go on about my way

1 - 19 of 19 Posts