Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this a touchy subject on PFF.
However after passing through the land cut between Robinson Island and NAS Pensacola, I really feel this narrow passage should be a Minimum or a No wake zone. The boats at speed, on top passing through this area is dangerous with the amount of traffic this time of year. I have even seen people dragging kids on tubes through the narrow passage, damn stupid with the amount of traffic through there. Last Sunday as I was going through headed west at about 20 knots, a 30+ foot center console passed me doing at least 50 kts. He was weaving in and out of the traffic through there and never slowed.

USCG or the Corps of Engineers needs to do something before a major accident takes place.

I may be wrong calling it Robinson Island. That’s what I always thought the name was. I’m referring to the spoil island to the north of the lagoon at Ft. McRea.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
I agree, that Land Cut needs to have slower traffic through it, at times. With Sherman's Cove dumping in there, and now the South Pass aka East Pass to the Cove at Fort Mcree closed off by sand, everyone is coming from the south in Big Lagoon to the Land Cut.

The name of the Island is Robertson Island on the charts. Robinson Island is at Orange Beach. I get them confused also, so I just visualize the charts when trying to remember which is which. Of course it also has other names. I was first introduced to it in 1995 as Admirals Island, as the pumped sand made way for the Admiral to get the ship to NAS. It is also called Dog Island, as Barney Fife from JOhnson Beach can not write you a $75 ticket for having a dog there, as opposed to the Fort Side where Dogs and Glass get the citation.

And the newer charts also refer to is as Sand Island.

But, I am afraid soon, someone will get hurt there.

Image.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have said that for years. It sucks and interesting at times while towing boats through the land cut. That and all the boats that bow up on the beach in the land cut surprises me that a few haven't gotten swamped.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, No Wake would be best. The real problem there is the concentration of traffic and speed. Also unsafe operators.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Unless you slow way down to no wake, it's better to plane and drive through. Bow up pushing wake is the worst.
Generally I would agree with you but the problem there is less the wakes than the safety factor with so many boats, passing so close, and at different and high speeds. But, I agree that the only way to make it a policy is by no wake and those who beach their boats right in the cut do prefer no wake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts