Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking through craigslist, and saw this....

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/1615134722.html

I was at the Tax Collector this week and was advised (after years of buying & selling boats) that you don't have to pay tax on the MOTOR. In order to avoid being taxed, make sure to get an itemized bill of sale and have the seller specify a separate price for the boat hull, the motor and the trailer. They even gave me a fill-in-the-blank bill of sale that made it easy.

The buyer will only pay tax on the hull & trailer, and NOT the motor! And the motor is usually the most expensive item.

I bet I've overpaid hundreds in taxes on MOTORS over the years that I apparently didn't have to......... Nice of the DMV and tax collectors to "forget" to mention this before.

I wonder if the same is true for a car..... specify separate price for the chassis, engine, seats, tires, rims, etc....

<UL class=blurbs><LI>Location: State of FL </LI>[/list]

·
Praedator
9,922 Posts
BananaTom (3/3/2010)As long as it is an outboard.
As long as it is an outboard and the seller breaks out the price of the hull, motor, and trailer as seperate items on the bill of sale. The only portion of the boat that you pay taxes on is the hull (if it's an outboard). If the seller simply writes you a bill of sale for the entire amount, that is what they will tax you on. I learned that lesson after the fact with my boat.:banghead And yes, they gladly take your money without telling you this. They know what they are doing.:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I don't know that it's actually legal but, since you don't have to register the motor, you can get by just paying tax on the boat.

First time I ever heard of that was about 6 years ago when I sold a 15' Boston Whaler to a guy from south FL. He asked me to write two different bills of sale.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Only applies to motors purchased fromINDIVIDUALS and listed and priced separately from the hull, equipment, and trailer. An Jon - yes you will pay tax on the trailer, even if listed separately, when you register it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I just checked with a dealer in FWB. He said they collect tax on the whole package BMT. My guess is the Tax Collector is over looking the motor, assuming that the boat was purchased without one. Maybe Kenny will chine in, since he is a dealer. If a dealer sells a motor seperate, they have to collect tax. It's a retail purchase.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I can't see the State of Florida lettinga big ticketitemlike a boat motor go completely untaxed either by the DMV orat the retail level. If it is like Alabama, I would much rather pay the DMV's 2.5% tax on the engine than the state's retail sales tax of 8%. If you are not intending to pay either...well.....thats something else.:shedevil

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,971 Posts
The Tax Collector does not collect state nor local option sales tax on vessel OUTBOARD motors BETWEEN PRIVATE PARTIES (ie. casual sale).

If you buy from a dealer/broker, you will pay tax on the entire package.

Itemize the bill of sale: boat, motor, trailer, accessories.

You pay tax on the boat and trailer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
yea and in alabama your boat numbers are considered your trailer tag also so you dont have to register the trailer ,so if you itemize bill of sale you only pay tax on hull. My last boat hull was worth nothing ,it was cracked and had to have major fiberglass work to get sea worthy,but motor and trailer were great .didnt have to pay hardly any tax when i registered it.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
From Pinellas County Tax Collector's office:

http://www.taxcollect.com/Content.aspx?ContentID=63

"When you purchase the vessel, motor and trailer together from an individual, you will not have to pay sales tax on the outboard motor if you can provide an itemized and notarized bill of sale signed by the seller. You will pay sales tax on the vessel and trailer. (This exemption does not apply to inboard motors or if you have purchased the motor from a dealer of store.)"

From Collier County Tax Collector's office:

http://www.colliertax.com/faq.html#ves

"Q: If I buy a boat, outboard motor and a trailer from an individual is it true that I can save money on sales tax?

A: Yes, if you purchase a boat, outboard motor and trailer from an individual, not a business, and you can provide us with a notarized Bill of Sale signed by the owner that separately details the cost of the boat, outboard motor and trailer (if one is purchased), you only have to pay sales tax on the boat and trailer not the outboard motor."

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
When we sell a boat,motor,trailer package the entire package is taxed, if it is over 5000.00 then it is taxed at 6.% plus $75.00. the only way ido not charge tax is if we sell an engine and deliver it out of state, as a business anything that goes on a buyers order or sales order whether it be a boat or parts over the counter is a retail sale and tax will be charged,,

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Damn great info but a day late and a dollar short for me. Will definitely make sure next boat purchase is itemized. Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes it is absolutely true. But if you guys are buying used vehicles and actually paying the full sales tax on them from private sales then you are just throwing your money away anyway. I mean you don't even need a bill of sale in FL to get it registered and every seller I have dealt with really doesn't care how the back of the title is filled out as long as he gets his cash.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts