Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Wegot our firstboat during red snapper season and caught many snappers. Now that the season is over what do we catch now? We are new to boating and fishing in the gulf. What is biting now and what are they biting on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Read some in the offshore and bluewater reports. Follow the Recess crew by stealth if possible.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Zulu (10/15/2009)Hello.

Wegot our firstboat during red snapper season and caught many snappers. Now that the season is over what do we catch now? We are new to boating and fishing in the gulf. What is biting now and what are they biting on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Man there is so much more out there other than red snapper to catch and eat. Black Snappers, Triggerfish, Mingo Snapper and Amberjack just to name a few. The fish are there, it will just take a little time to figure out how to target them with so many red snappers....Good Luck :letsdrink

·
Registered
387 Posts
dude,stop buying bait,stop paying for equipment and stop paying for gas,it wont take long for the feds to figure out that the commercial guys are not the ones that make a local difference.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
With a 23 footer you can hit some of the wrecks around 10-15 miles and jig up AJs no problem, bottom bump for grouper with larger live bait (once it cools a bit), troll for kings, sails, etc.Or run around looking for bull reds.

Lots of options like Capt. Piney said.

·
Registered
878 Posts
JoeZ (10/16/2009)With a 23 footer you can hit some of the wrecks around 10-15 miles and jig up AJs no problem, bottom bump for grouper with larger live bait (once it cools a bit), troll for kings, sails, etc.Or run around looking for bull reds.

Lots of options like Capt. Piney said.

Joe, I think that "once it cools a bit" just happened!!!

It was 71° when I got up this morning at 6:30 and it already has dropped to 65° and it's just after 11 AM!!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Or you could switch over to hunting season. Less likely to see flipper eating all your red snapper you can't keep when you are sitting in a tree stand.....

Thats my plan. Hope it works!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Welcome to the forum Zulu.

There have been tons of thread derailments recently, so don't feel like anyone is picking on the newbie.

I have been fishing less than a year, so I am not even a rookie, (I stink)but one thing I have been doing is going back 1 year in the reports section of the forum. (We are in Oct 2009, I'll look at Oct 2008 or Oct 2007 reports) Then I'll try and look at the Q&A Section for the same time frame, and try to come up with some idea of what I should be doing.

Alot of good info comes from the fisherpersons on the forum,and some more people should start chiming in with <U>helpful:poke </U>replies soon!!!

Look forward to the reports.

·
Registered
289 Posts
the ars are eating everything on the wreaks i have now begain to catch ars inshore as well as offshore it is nice to go out and be able to catch fish but it seems like that the ars are eating up all the bait fish and small game fish on the wreaks:usaflag

·
SaltWaterDave
1,847 Posts
grassbed hunter (10/16/2009)the ars are eating everything on the wreaks i have now begain to catch ars inshore as well as offshore it is nice to go out and be able to catch fish but it seems like that the ars are eating up all the bait fish and small game fish on the wreaks:usaflag
I have to agree with this. When I dive there always a ton of ars and they are so predative that few other fish on the structure have much of a chance. They need to double the ars bag and open the season all year to give other fish a chance.

I'm looking forward to the winter grouper dives to see if they are comeing back or not. The feds srcewed this one up big.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
+10,0000 percent on the ARS...

I would target the spanish if I were you. Troll the pass, the bay, and around the massachusetts. Be careful considering the buoy is not on the wreck of the Massachusetts....

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
or go to 3 mile bridge between gulf breeze and pensacola and fish at night for white trout with shrimp. Might catch redfish and speckled trout too doing that.

If you are any good with cast net, the mullet are in schools in the bay as well. I plan to net some as soon as the wind lays down again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts