Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a good forecast, we decided to go try our luck and troll the edge for Wahoo south of Destin past the Ozark. High winds and 4' seas slowed our progress so we put the lines in around 180' and trolled to our favorite spot at 350'. Worked the humps south of the ozark in bluish water. Very little bait, no birds and no luck. The seas laid down around 1 pm, and had a nice ride back in. No bites, no fish. I'll wait until the current is pushing north again - should create a nice fall line in October to produce some wahoo.

Although no bites, I was able to test a few things on the boat. First test was our new 4 blade props on our Yamaha 350s. This was my 4th set to try; I finally got it right with a pair Powertechs 15 x 18's. I got these from David Massey at Accu-prop of Pensacola. I'm able to troll now at up to 10 knots without lugging and the cruise speed and fuel economy is about 15% better. It’s a whole new boat. Thanks, David for working with me to try to get the boat to run its best!

Also, I was able to test some swimming plugs called Halco Giant Tremblers. They are like Yozuri Bonita's but with rattles. They pulled great at speeds up to 10 knots - with surprisingly very little resistance. I fished these Australian made lures back in the day in Louisiana. No bites, but I will test when the bite is on and see if they can produce like my other super-secret Wahoo lures.

Matt

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting your props dialed in, being able to troll at up to 10 knts w/o squatting is great! Seems like the spur was the place this past weekend. We need pics for "color" next trip!

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts