Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the dock lights east of the NLO and East Bay last night. Had one trout on and lost it - no other bites. That is rather unusual for this time of the year. Usually we do pretty good on trout and reds. Has anyone else been having the same problem?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was doing really well on dock lights multiple nights a week in April and early may but lately its been hit or miss. Not sure why. I'm gonna try tonight and see how it goes.

The bait is becoming much more plentiful and I'm using artificials. That may be a factor.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Up till this past week there has been a lot of fresh water coming into the bays. East River and that little bayou (Tom King Bayou or whatever it's called) dump a lot of fresh water along that southern shoreline of East Bay. Maybe that's been part of the equation.

Reactions: KPTN

·
Registered
339 Posts
Up till this past week there has been a lot of fresh water coming into the bays. East River and that little bayou (Tom King Bayou or whatever it's called) dump a lot of fresh water along that southern shoreline of East Bay. Maybe that's been part of the equation.
That's likely the cause. Not sure of your area but NOAA publishes a salinity report on our bay system. I've found it useful for finding trout. Redfish will tolerate fresh water better than trout...anything less than 11ppm on trout and they'll seek areas with higher salinity. You can see our bay system is really fresh too because of all the rain. https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/ofs_animation.shtml?ofsregion=ng&subdomain=gb&model_type=salinity_forecast

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what the salinity actually is, however, I can't imagine that there is a lot of fresh water entering Blackwater, Escambia and East Bays. I saw on WEAR TV weather that our area is down in rainfall by nearly 8 inches. DO NOT BURN! etc.

Is there a web site that will tell me what the salinity is?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts