Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent been fishing at night yet on a boat, but hope to soon. Got an old boat recently I'm doing some upgrades on and thought I might add some lights under the gunnels pointing down at the floor so you can see in the tackle box, see what you are doing when tying knots, etc when night fishing . Just wondering what you guys have done... installed lights? Portable lights? Red to save your "night vision" or plain old white lights. I was looking at another forum and they had blue lights, which looked really cool, but not sure if it has any practical purpose.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i put blue led rope light under my gunnel on my twin vee and absolutely love it. soft light that doesn't hurt your eyes and makes everything white simply glow. i also bought two of those 2ft submersible lights from sports academy that glow the neon green and installed them under the hard top to light up that area. the neon green doesn't hurt your eyes like bright white and looks cool as hell. my boat has spreader lights if i simply wanna light up an area. i have it rigged out for night fishing along with a big hydroglow underwater light. night fishing is the only way to go on those 100degree summer days

·
Banned
257 Posts
Something somewhat simpler but effective - the 5 + or - light LED clipons for ball caps. Some of them even have multiple position switches so that 1, 3, or 5 can be lighted. They come in several colors, I think red, green, blue, and clear, and are about $5 to $10 at WallyWorld.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you are looking for gunnel lights try these guys. http://seamasterlights.com/ This is what I put on my boat and they are completely sealed by dipping in epoxy so they won't rust internally like many do. Relatively cheap as well 10" LED for around $30. I have a 20ft Trophy and these babies light up the entire deck no problem.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MGuns (10/27/2009)I use red lights at night so I don't lose night vision but also have bright spreader lights if I need them.

That looks bad ass, do you have any problems tying knots or seeing your mono line with those red ones?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hardcorehare (10/27/2009)i put blue led rope light under my gunnel on my twin vee and absolutely love it. soft light that doesn't hurt your eyes and makes everything white simply glow. i also bought two of those 2ft submersible lights from sports academy that glow the neon green and installed them under the hard top to light up that area. the neon green doesn't hurt your eyes like bright white and looks cool as hell. my boat has spreader lights if i simply wanna light up an area. i have it rigged out for night fishing along with a big hydroglow underwater light. night fishing is the only way to go on those 100degree summer days

I hear you about those summer days... brutal. Do you have any problem tying knots in blue light? I typically use mono not braid, so wondering if Id be able to see what Im doing

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
choppedliver (10/27/2009)
MGuns (10/27/2009)I use red lights at night so I don't lose night vision but also have bright spreader lights if I need them.

That looks bad ass, do you have any problems tying knots or seeing your mono line with those red ones?
As long as I'm pretty close to the lights it's OK, I can see to tie knots etc. The lights are under the gunnels, under the hard top and inside all compartments, they came factory installed. There's also white courtsey lights and spreader lights.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have blue LED's around the console on my sea pro which are great, just enough light to see what the heck you're doin but doesn't kill your night vision, but I want and would recommend a single white LED on a separete switch for tying knots(ESPECIALLY IN BRAID!).

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,971 Posts
Maybe Polar21 will chime in here....

He has the underwater LEDs transom mounted that are great and bought 2 white LED's for the rear of the T-Top.

2 LEDs are way too much light. Happened to be looking up when he turned them on and couldn't see for awhile after that.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Swhiting cant tie his own knots so not sure why he was looking at the lights anyways? Maybe he was admiring my craftsmanship of putting them on?

If you ever want to get some cheap (relatively speaking) underwater lights, check out www.coastalnightlights.com The lights are incredible. Heck, we dont have to buy squid anymore they all come up to the lights and we just scoop them up and send them back down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts