Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Im no tuna expert but it looks to be a bumble bee tuna.
Blue fin, yellow fin. Big eye whatev. Nice size, got yourself a little 62" butter ball. Looks to have decent fat in the majors, nice color. That fish with todays market will go for 16 dollars a lb.

Did you use the green stick!?!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Pretty sure it is a bigeye. If so, that is even more a trophy than a YF. I was just asking. Looks too front heavy and has too short sickles to be a yellowfin IMO. But I'm wrong about stuff everyday. Either way, heck of a catch and I wasn't taking anything away from it. I'm guessing it came from one of the drill ships in the vicinity of Horn (but again only because there seem to be a lot of bigeyes in that area). Again, great fish. MSViking has caught a slob bigeye, so he may can chime in. I struggle identifying bigeyes compared to yellowfins.

·
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
1,263 Posts
Don't have to give up the rig, but how did they catch this guy, trolling, chunking, bottom, popping, live bait?
Great catch for sure!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was on the boat. It was really cool watching the yellowfins busting on flyers. Actually we caught yellowfin and blackfin on giant poppers. The best fisherman on the boat was Rachel. She couldn't get enough fighting those tuna. The biggest fish in the picture was a yellowfin. It had very large sickle fins that you cant see in the picture.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I was on the boat. It was really cool watching the yellowfins busting on flyers. Actually we caught yellowfin and blackfin on giant poppers. The best fisherman on the boat was Rachel. She couldn't get enough fighting those tuna. The biggest fish in the picture was a yellowfin. It had very large sickle fins that you cant see in the picture.
ah, come on, adam. we know you showed rachel how to catch that fish.:whistling:
anyway. nice catch, whoever caught it. way to go guys.

jack

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The rig really doesn't matter. I've been working out of green canyon over the last few weeks and have seen schools of the biggest tuna in my career. I guarantee the didn't run out there. Just fish the weather side of a supply boat near a rig that has been on dp for a while. I've been hand feeding tuna way bigger than that one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts