Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took the plunge and enlisted! I picked up my Hobie PA yesterday in Chattanooga! It came with a trailer and I was able to manage it pretty well by myself. Now I'm sure when I try to drag that thing on the sand to the beach I'll sing another tune but I'm am very happy with the yak! Just wanted t say thanks to everyone for their advise and help this weekend. I will hopefully get it on the lake tomorrow and I can't wait to have it in the salt (most likely sometime in Nov.) :thumbup:

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Congrats! Just ask for help when you get to the beach. Kayakers are typically friendly and helpful, so getting help dragging that monster to the beach shouldn't be a issue.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Awesome! Congrats. I was gonna invite you to come test drive my PA this weekend if you hadn't made up your mind yet. You're gonna love it. I'm jealous of all you newbies who start out with a PA. Took me ten years to finally get the big dog.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll be splitting my time here in the mountains and in south Ala. to help out my mom so hopefully I'll get to meet some of you out there. There is also a pretty good crappie and bass lake in my hometown so I can't wait to put it in the h2o there either. For a used yak I think I came out pretty well. I still need a few items that I want to add but I got a great jump start. I would like to upgrade the fish finder one day but what I have is fine to start with. Anybody got a preference for buying online accessories? I would buy local but I'm out in the boonies and its an over an hour to the closest sporting goods.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the word of YAK fishing. Like Brandon said big wheels for the beach or just get Brandon to hall it down for you! He is nice like that. lol

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Congrats. The PA is a beast. The hobie wheels are not really big enough. It seems you have to essentially fabricate your own cart to be very effective.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Welcome to the addiction. I started small due to funds but you got the king of the fleet we all dream of (except that whole 100+lbs thing). I can attest that even my little pompano being drug through the sand worked my ass. It's the best fishing experience you can dream of though inshore offshore or fresh water. Sitting level with the water, completely silent with little to no maintenance or operating cost.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Congrats. The PA is a beast. The hobie wheels are not really big enough. It seems you have to essentially fabricate your own cart to be very effective.
Completely agree! The $200 Hobie Trax cart with 24cm wheels just isn't enough to get the beast places (especially sand) without killing yourself. I highly suggest you purchase the wheels separately (30cm are next largest) and have a frame made. Just had another member here locally who welds and makes pier and beach carts fabricate a frame for the larger wheels. Just tried them tonight and they work great! Will post pics in a follow up thread. Congrats on getting a beast!

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Nice. I'm more interested in the land behind the yak, that's beautiful. Can't wait to get up there. Three more days! So where is the transducer mounted?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The transducer was mounted inside the boat and not drilled in. The guy didn't know what he was talking about. It was fine.

You will have some beautiful colors for your visit. You should drive to the northern most portions of Georgia and hit some of the apple orchards. They are awesome this time of year. Lots going on in the mountains in October and lots of festivals in all of the small towns. But be warned, traffic will be horrible! My house and property are in Fannin County. I have a great mountain view behind my house that is not in the pics. I guess I'll have to post that sometime. I have lots of snow pictures lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was eyeing that same kayak on craigs list myself and decided to hold off on the newer PA. You got a sweet deal for sure! If your ever down my way near Fayetteville, gimmie a holler. We have some awesome smallmouth and trout fishing on the Elk River below Tims Ford dam.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
The transducer was mounted inside the boat and not drilled in. The guy didn't know what he was talking about. It was fine.

You will have some beautiful colors for your visit. You should drive to the northern most portions of Georgia and hit some of the apple orchards. They are awesome this time of year. Lots going on in the mountains in October and lots of festivals in all of the small towns. But be warned, traffic will be horrible! My house and property are in Fannin County. I have a great mountain view behind my house that is not in the pics. I guess I'll have to post that sometime. I have lots of snow pictures lol.
No traffic or festivals where I'm going lol, just 1200 acres of nothing but mother nature. We're camping on the river. Probably won't see another person the whole time...just the way I like it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts