Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I get? My husband would like to buy a kayak before we come down to Navarre this coming spring.

Here is what he will be doing: He and the boys like to night fish, so they will want to take their bait further out off the beach. They would also like to try some offshore fishing during the day. Not way out there - but past where the waves break, maybe alittle further? The thought of fishing off the kayak sounds great to them, instead of just wading out and throwing the lines and then sitting on the beach. Myself and the girls may want to wander out and just paddle/pedal around.

The Kayaks we have looked at are: The hobie outfitter, the ocean torque, the ocean malibu two, the wilderness tarpon.

We stay on Navarre Beach on the gulf side, and he likes the idea of the motor/pedals, just to help with getting to and from, but is not opposed to just a standard kayak. But how would the torque or hobie launch from the surf? How do any of them launch from the surf? And how is fishing off a standard kayak - the kind with the paddles?

My suggestion was to purchase a tandem for the daylight hours and then a single person for the night bait drops. Am I crazy? :w00t:

Last year we rented a hobie outfitter and due to the weather/water conditions (April) he only got to use it two times, and I didn't take it out at all. So I don't really have an assessment of it, but hubby said it wasn't comfortable. And we only used it at Ft. Pickens on the bay side, so we have no reference for surf launching.

We also have a friend who is one of the designers of the Wilderness Kayaks - so he is steering hubby that way.:)

Other information that may help: Whichever kayak(s) we get will only be used about 30 days a year - unless I can get him to pack up his business and move to Florida.:D

We live in TN and come to Navarre several times a year. My husband and two boys LOVE to fish - our girls not so much unless there's a fish on the line. :lol:They shark fish at Ft. Pickens, they fish off the beach, we go deep sea fishing, anything fishing we do. :thumbup: We have a pond at home with Catfish, Bass, etc - so fishing is always going on. But there really is not anywhere here we would use the kayaks - so they are only for the beach.

Sorry to ramble - I really want to get them what will be best suited for what they want to do. And maybe I'll just get to finish a book or two...:whistling:

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Naturally, I always go straight to the "get a hobie" thing. For somebody who isn't planning on fishing much, it is a bit of an overkill (if $$$ is an issue). I must admit though, I'm not familiar with any if those yaks, except for the tarpon. It's a good yak. Wait a minute....just get the hobie ;) You won't regret it, they're awesome for fishing. If they only used it to take shark bait out, I would say get the cheapest, smallest one. Shorter yaks are better for playing in the surf, in my experience.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
PM me when you come down. Im in Navarre and have two Hobie Outbacks and a Hobie Revolution. Maybe we can work something out to do some fishing. I primarily fish the Gulf and I am pretty confident you all will have a great time catching some nice fish.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Tarpons are great yaks especially the 140. Also, the Hobie Revolution (either 13 or 11ft) are also great boats. Also, look at Ocean Kayak Prowler or Prowler Trident. They'll fit the bill for fishing inshore or offshore and running baits out at night. They're even great for running rivers or paddling lakes if you guys every want to get into freshwater fishing where you live. Both designs are great for a variety of applications; good acceleration, top speed, tracking, maneuverability, and stability.

I'd advise against the Hobie Outback or Quest for offshore fishing or running baits out at night. I've found the peddles and rudder are no help to you when launching in messy surf and trying to get out as quick as possible. They take too long to put in after launch and then pull up right before you get back to the beach. Trying to paddle either the Outback or Quest through surf takes forever since their hulls constantly catch waves and get pushed backwards. It usually took me 20minutes or longer to go 300yds through surf and the longer you spend in the surf zone the greater your chances of being flipped.

On the other hand, Tarpons, OK Tridents, and Hobie Revo's will punch their way through the surf in a couple of minutes or less. Once you're out of the surf, any of these yaks track very well and allow you to cover much more water more easily than the Outback or Quest.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
From some one that has two hobie outbacks and a hobie revo 13 I will say that I personally prefer the outback offshore. It's deep enough here that you can almost always immediately put in your fins and down your rudder. The revo offers nothing more then a hardly noticeable increase of speed. I carry tons of gear and the outback is more suited for that. I've had to paddle both and neither paddle well and honestly my outbacks track better then my revo when paddling.

Just my two cents from a guy that owns both and ONLY fishes offshore.

But you are right no hobie is ideal for running sharks baits through nasty surf.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
I just got an Old Town Caspian at Academy. It's a copy of the OK Scrabler xl only blue. It's got some things like a locking hatch that I really like, but missing some things that I wish it had. For another $45 I can be ready for the beach. Also look at the precision Pescador 10' or 12'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the replies! I haven't made any decisions yet, but I am leaning towards the Hobie Outfitter so that my dear hubby and son can go fish offshore or on the sound side during the day hours and I'm thinking about getting an Ocean Malibu Two or maybe the XL for the bait running at night but that myself and one of the girls can play with in the daytime.

Does that sound reasonable?

JD7.62 - I will PM you - it would be great for them to fish with some wonderful locals :)

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll come back with more questions - probably about outfitting with rod holders, etc. You guys are awesome!!

Lisa

·
Registered
947 Posts
The Outfitter is an great tandem kayak - take a look at the Oasis, too. It has been completely redesigned... The mirage drive is a great piece of machinery. Very efficient.

The Malibu II / II XL is an excellent yak for the money - it can be paddled solo or in tandem, but I would definitely get the XL - it is 14" longer which means more legroom and more weight capacity. I have owned a Malibu II and our club currently owns a Malibu II XL. The XL is the better boat if you plan to go tandem a lot. Either are fine solo. A very versatile all-purpose kayak. You will not regret buying it. Although I will guarantee that the Hobie will be preferred...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts