Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
depends on the direction and how big your boat is. I personally when fishing for fun, don't go with anything more than 2 ft. remember that is the average, some larger, some smaller and closer together.... on charters depending on the age of the crew, i make the decision after talking to them. safety is priority 1..... I saw a fella fall and break out his teeth and bust his face up bad, bad one trip I was on.... not pretty... remember, not everyone has sea legs....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
and on number 3.
i agree with jim (realtor) about the sea legs. this comes with a few years experience but i have been in 7', didn't enjoy it, caught the last two trigger of the season, water coming over the gunnels, holding on to something on the boat while holding a rod, waiting for a bite. tough, but we did it.

jack

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
and on number 3.

i agree with jim (realtor) about the sea legs. this comes with a few years experience but i have been in 7', didn't enjoy it, caught the last two trigger of the season, water coming over the gunnels, holding on to something on the boat while holding a rod, waiting for a bite. tough, but we did it.

jack
Hey Jack, I've done that on Ed's boat. Lol!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys.
Realtor- Is that the forecast for the next 7days? I will be fishing at Noon this coming Tuesday 6/25. Are the predicted levels for Tuesday, good, normal, bad??? I believe we are going out on a 24’ boat. Thanks

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
1-2 feet isn't too bad, depends on the period. 2ft at 3 sec makes for a fishable day with some pitching, but a pretty bumpy run out. 2 feet at 6 seconds is quite pleasant if it's not chopped up real bad.

3ft and up I often just find something else to do. :thumbsup:

Reactions: gator75

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.
Realtor- Is that the forecast for the next 7days? I will be fishing at Noon this coming Tuesday 6/25. Are the predicted levels for Tuesday, good, normal, bad??? I believe we are going out on a 24’ boat. Thanks
it could go either way right now. next Tuesday it will be about a 2 ft chop. the closer in time, the more accurate the forecast, but its just a forecast. accurate, but its a weather forecast... 24 ft boat, young people with some experience, you should be okay, but it also depends on current and shifts in the wind.... time will tell...

·
Registered
907 Posts
We're lucky here in that you can always go check the pass, and if you don't like what you see, there are plenty of fish to be caught in the bay and intracoastal.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Also be mindful of the tide. Anything over 2 feet blowing from the south with an outgoing tide will turn the pass into a washing machine. Stay to the east side heading out and returning and you should be fine.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,985 Posts
Tuesday night, NOAA said seas for Weds would be 1-3' (which translates to 2-6'). But Weds, yesterday morning, said seas were 1', so off I go. Seas were easy 3-6' at times yesterday, mostly 3-5'. I still went out to 3-barges tho. Had them all to myself, except for flipper eating my cigs, lol. Bilge stayed on pretty much the whole time I was there as I had waves breaching over the hull quite often.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Also be mindful of the tide. Anything over 2 feet blowing from the south with an outgoing tide will turn the pass into a washing machine. Stay to the east side heading out and returning and you should be fine.
The worst is outgoing tide, north wind, rollers from a tropical storm in the keys. It's been over 15 years and my wife still talks about it!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The current flowing out of the pass, in the opposite direction to the direction of the waves causes the waves to increase in height and steepness or to "stack-up" .

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
What makes outgoing tide worse? Or are you saying that combo is worst case scenerio?
The full moon last weekend meant a lot of water flowing out of the pass. Sunday saw a tidal swing of 1.4 to -0.3, which for our area is pretty big. The bays have a lot of water and it all funnels out through the pass.

Swells rolling North from the Gulf, with brisk tidal flow going South means the waves stack up like raking your hands together through the sand to pile it up. More importantly, if you're running through that on the way back in, a wave behind you with the tide pushing water at you from the front means that your forward momentum from the engine, coupled with the the angle of the wave pitching your bow down, can cause your boat pitch bow-down and scoop all that water right into your boat.

Example: a center console sinking in just a few seconds due to that phenomenon

The advice to come in from the side is good - the tidal flow goes southward on an outgoing tide, so coming from the Fort Pickens side of the pass will bypass much of that flow and wave-stacking while not being shallow enough to cause any issues like the West side can.

Reactions: KnotSure

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Check NDBC 42012 before you leave as well as the forecast. IMO a dominate period with a number less than 3x the number of the wave height is pretty crappy. For example, 2' @ 6 second dominate period is nice. 2' @ 3 seconds will knock your teeth out. Ive sorta stopped looking at wave forecasts. Its really the wind that matters. As long as its not blowing for days at a constant speed and direction and is less than 15kts out of the south or west Im going. Ill cut that back to 10-12kts if its blowing out of the north or east.

Also as mentioned, your crew is important. Like Realtor, I base my trips on my crew. A family with grandma and 6 yo grandson has a much smaller weather window of opportunity than some 19-20 year old Navy boys. Sea legs are a REAL thing and some people got em and some dont!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Example: a center console sinking in just a few seconds due to that phenomenon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGtQ5OVo8_0
Coming in with a following sea, ride in on the back-side of a wave. Play your throttle as needed to stay on the wave. Don't let the one behind you catch up and do not try to run down the front of the wave you're on.

And, as stated, try to avoid the main current flow and shallow water as much as you can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts