Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just moved back to Pensacola Beach and I am still very new to Surf Fishing and even newer to PFF. Thanks to everyone on this site, I have been mildly successful in the two months that I've been living on the beach.

I have a 10ft bait caster with a pompano rig and I have become a master at catching sand fleas/mole crabs. The fleas have been my primary bait, and with them I have caught tons of lady fish, hard tails, baby sharks, and of course hardheads at night.

I thought I'd ask a couple questions (sorry if they are dumb ones!):

What is the best kind of fish that I can hope to catch surf fishing this deep into the summer, other than sharks?

Are there any other rigs/set-ups I should try to use other than my current pompano rig w/ 3 hooks?

I'll be going back out here in a bit to see what I can catch. Hopefully I can give ya'll a good surf fishing report later!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more question...

I can catch dozens of sand fleas in a night if I wanted to. I have been freezing them to use later. Obviously, a live sand flea is better than a dead one, but when I hook a live one up it doesn't seem to stay alive for very long anyway. Does any one have any thoughts about whether freezing the fleas is a big time mistake?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I can catch dozens of sand fleas in a night if I wanted to. I have been freezing them to use later. Obviously, a live sand flea is better than a dead one, but when I hook a live one up it doesn't seem to stay alive for very long anyway. Does any one have any thoughts about whether freezing the fleas is a big time mistake?
No not a waste at all. When the fall/winter pompano run begins you will be glad you have them. Even the beginning of the spring when they are still tough to get.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts