Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if anyone knew a few places to go squirrel or other small game hunting? Escambia River seems alright but don't know of any other places. Also what time of year should I go?
Also, anyone know of a club that accepts new people and helps train them? I don't have any friends or family into hunting so I'm kind of learning everything on my own and don't have much to go to for guidance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm new as well although have been on a few hunts in the past 5 years. But from the advise of the board, go spend some time scouting in the area you intend to hunt. Walk it and look for sign. I went to one today for a couple hours and saw lots of deer tracks. Spotted a couple choke points and movement routes for deer. No buck scrapes or droppings. But it was the first day. I plan on going back and putting up a trail cam to see what i can see. Trial and error i reckon.

As for small game. IDK about what to look for re squirrels, but I saw a ton of them today.

If you want to legally hunt the first step is to get licensed. You'll have to take a hunter safety course to do so. NRA offers a free one and its pretty comprehensive.

If you want to hunt a WMA, read their brochure and familiarize yourself with their specific regs. Many are quota areas where you have to apply for a limited number of open slots. The WMA i scouted is near my house but i do not have a quota permit. I'll apply for it in the summer.

If youre gonna scout right now, make sure you wear your blaze orange. Due to it being rifle season, I think its required.

Check out the hunting public podcast and wired to hunt. Those are two that offer a ton of info

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
Escambia River is loaded with tree rats. They are so plentiful you literally have to make them run so you don’t fill them with lead 5 yards away. Just go North or South from any launch and you’ll find them. But be careful because the river is super high right now. You can also find them in the bottoms of Blackwater.

·
Registered
328 Posts
shit tons of squirrels in escambia, but like others have said it's super high right now.

I've seen a good amount while in blackwater as well just walk around one morning or afternoon and look for stands of big oaks you'll find them. Take one of those small stools and just sit near some oaks for a bit and I'm sure you'll start hearing and seeing them.

You'll need a WMA permit, hunting license, and safety course if you don't have it already. I just took mine last September and it was a pretty good course. Do the free NRA one online then go for the range day. May not be able to get a class in before the end of the season but I dunno. You can hunt pigs on escambia without a hunting license FYI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts